Running interior power ACC line? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Running interior power ACC line?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Running interior power ACC line?

I've been thinking of tapping a full power line to the rear of the vehicle for various accessory uses. I use a lot of random 12v accessories all the time(dash fan, mini air compressor, emergency lights, etc) and would like to just run a power line straight off the batt to inside the rear cargo area. I will probably have it end in a distribution block with a 12 v outlet right beside it or something of the like. Any thoughts aside from 100% fused protection at the batt I should do to avoid it backfiring in my face?
All the threads that have anything like this are filled with 404 error links or just not relevant.. I guess the questions
Do any of you have a recommendation for a good 4-6 port distribution block(don't need bigger than 8 gauge off the block) that's on the cheap?(please no crutchfield parts or anything, they are ridiculously expensive for cheap crap)
For that use, incase of emergencies, is it even worth relays, or should I just wire in a cut off switch at some place? Relays are my weak spot with electrical *shrugs*
I'm trying to think as plug-and-play as I can be with this for versatility as I'll probably be getting a full set of rv type appliances for camping trips or cross country trips.

One thing I was planning for this was using that as a tapping point to run a 12v higher amp power line to a trailer so I can hook up stuff like an rv fridge/freezer. That's still up in the air as to how well it would work.. I was thinking run it alongside the 4 prong connector and as a second "extension cord" of sorts. There's also the line of thought that I might add a battery or two onto the trailer and use that as a sort of "slow charge" connection(though that would probably be a larger independant line, idk..). Just throwing out where my train of thoughts has been for this so you all can add your ideas, advice, whatever

[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
jimmyznutz
1994 ZJ 

An excellent idea on the cargo area power source. Sounds like it would be easily doable. Just run an 8 or 10 gauge power wire to the rear. Just like you would for an amp. Find the place you want the outlet and integrate it in the trim, I would put a cutoff switch also just for safety. Use parts like this.
A couple of these.

a cutoff switch.

I would also integrate one of these somehow since doing the work anyway.

This would be a nice option if you could find this setup.

jimmyznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

hmm.. That has a lot of possibility. Thanks! That's not exactly what I'm planning but that's a really good idea, and I can think of a lot to go from there.

Any other takers? I'm sure this could be innovation for others, since there doesn't seem to be much coverage on this for ZJs.
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Depending on how much wattage you're going to pull from it, I would tap into the upper left tab on the trailer connector. It's ignition switched, though.

[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I'd like to set up so the battery in my trailer charges while I'm driving. There are a few writeups on installing a 2nd battery & how to wire it so it's isolated.

I've used Del City for junctions blocks, wire, connectors, etc.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

There is only a 4 pin(blade) style trailer light kit that I installed a couple weeks ago. That plus the avg draw would be between 5a and 15a, highest expected being around 80ish amps draw.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
I'd like to set up so the battery in my trailer charges while I'm driving. There are a few writeups on installing a 2nd battery & how to wire it so it's isolated.

I've used Del City for junctions blocks, wire, connectors, etc.
Using the connection I posted will do that. In fact, that's what it's for. You will of course need to wire in a 7 pin connector on the trailer to make use of it. The "battery" connection at the upper left of the Jeep's trailer connector is direct power that is switched off and on with the ignition. As soon as you start the Jeep with the trailer plugged in, it will start charging the trailer's battery. As soon as you shut the Jeep off, the trailer is isolated and on its own.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

This computer is lagging i guess, I can't seem to keep up with posts tonight.
I'll check out del city, they seem promising so far.

Along the lines of multi-battery, It would be batteries buffering accessories(appliances, lights, etc) and the alternator providing the brunt power and recharge. I'm thinking camping and cross country with the trailer and some stuff thrown in cargo racks for offroading trips, but still packed into a DD vehicle. I see it all the time in the larger trucks and want a smaller, more versatile version that doesn't kill me with weight and power drain

It looks like the only place around here that sells anything bigger than 4 gauge wire in jumper cables is grainger.. Any thoughts?
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Crumpton Welding Supply
St. Petersburg branch:
3007 47th Ave. N. - St. Petersburg, FL 33714
727-525-2177 - 800-201-2177
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Thanks 96zedjay! That didn't come up on any of the searches. Go figure, search for something several hundred miles away and you can find 20 of everything. search for something 5 miles away, it doesn't exist.... Gotta love Google sometimes >_<

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.