Running 3" BB on a 96 GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Running 3" BB on a 96 GC

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Swedishguy

Running 3" BB on a 96 GC

Hello!

New at the forum. Just bought a 96 ZJ and one night I put together a 3" BB lift made out of teflon pucks. But now im stumbleling over more and more negative response around the 3" BB's? Am I gonna crash and burn? Why is it such a

Has had it on now for 2 weeks and it seems to work like a charm!

Thanx

Swedishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

its frowned upin becasue at that height it lowers the spring so mauc that it is very easy for it to come unseated due to there not being much or any spring retainer post left to hold it in. and if you loose a spring it isnt good.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
NEp8ntballer

because your suspension geometry is no longer anywhere near where it should be. plus you don't get the much of a gain with the pucks as opposed to a 3" lift spring. you can clear bigger tires but you don't gain the articulation from a 3" lift.
NEp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Swedishguy

Ok! thanx for the quick reply! In the front theres the long bump-stoppers to hold the spring in place. So the problem is mostly the rear springs that now risk coming unseated?
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

yes, you are correct, but if you flex the front a decent amount there is still the possibility. its just frowned upin as an unsafe practice. kind of a dont risk it if you dont have to.

did you get any other components at 3" or just the pucks?
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Swedishguy

Just the Pucks, gonna get the shocks to. Havent decided on wich ones yet. I have seen that the alignment in the axels are a bit off since i havent done anything with the panhard. Thinking of drilling a new hole in the lower bracket in the front. Havent thought much abot the rear yet. Btw, its 2,5" pucks on the rear springs, not 3".
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If its 2.5" then its fine, I ran 2.5" for almost a year with no issues.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Swedishguy

2,5" rear, 3" front
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I've been running a 3" BB for 0ver 10 years, some 300,000kms, on two trucks. There are no problems with the front coming loose ever, even at full droop, even with the shocks and swaybar off, because the OEM lower control arms prevent the diff from dropping far enough. In addition, the front bumpstop post is over 5" long, plus the steel bumpstop socket os bolted on to the end of that. When you put BBs in the front, it is always under at least a bit of compression, even under full droop, because there is less "room" for the spring than before! In other words, a BB actually makes the springs harder to remove, so harder to have "fall out." Where did this myth start??

In the rear, there may be some concern. The spring is located by a much shorter post. The solution for those who want a 3" BB is to install a piece of exhaust tubing over the post and then install the suspension. I have not done this, and I wouldn't bother, because you can get the same 3" of lift from a Front to Rear swap using I6 ZJ springs. No problems with the spring ever moving, and used springs are cheaper than BBs in my areas. Actually though, even with the swaybar and shocks off, the springs are hard to get in with a 2" BB. I can't imagine they'd be able to move (especially with the swaybar and shocks on!), because with the OEM LCAs, the rear springs are ALWAYS under pressure, even at full droop.

In either case, you will not have any trouble with articulation. Check out my Public Profile pic and you'll see my 31s rubbing the top of the spring post, even with the 3" BB. I've extended the front bumpstops 1" (a simple aluminum puck) and the rear 1.5" (square steel tubing, actually from a RE kit).

You will have no issues with front end geometry, as you can adjust the caster so easily on the ZJ.

You will definitely have vibration issues with the stock rear suspension, but they can be "reduced" with a transfer case drop. Or hopefully removed with adjustable lower control arms.

There is NO CHANGE in ride quality with a BB (another weird myth???) because you're using the same springs!!

Enjoy it!

Last edited by StellaTheZJ; 09-25-2009 at 08:32 AM..
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Swedishguy

Good stuff! Thanx for all the info! Gonna consider my options, leaning towards keeping the pucks in the front and throw in some used frontsprings on the rear axle.

Great forum btw!
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishguy View Post
Good stuff! Thanx for all the info! Gonna consider my options, leaning towards keeping the pucks in the front and throw in some used frontsprings on the rear axle.

Great forum btw!
if your really on a budget thats the way i would do it. your gonna need longer shocks too.
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
BigJake3030
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know how much lift you will get by putting the stock 5.2 springs in the rear. I was thinking of doing this and buying lift springs for the front to keep it level. I was also wondering if both the front and rear track bars need to be replaced or just the front?
BigJake3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

that is commonly called the front to rear swap. ironrockoffroad.com has a kit made for it. they should give 3.5" in the rear. if you move em back and get new front 3.5" springs you will want new shocks made for a 3.5" lift, a front trackbar and longer swaybar endlinks to go with it at a minimum. some people ty and get by without a new rear trackbar but in my personal opinion i would highly recommend a new rear trackbar. im very pleased i got it and some people who dont end up with weird rubbing issues caused by not getting it and end up with it.

if you dont plan on wheeling it you can get by with relocation brackets that will drop the mount down butim unsure of those. ive heard some horor stories that arise with em and i personally am not comfortable with em.
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
BigJake3030
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice, Im off road all the time but mostly family trails and lighter stuff. I feel the same way about those relocation brackets, heard to many bad stories. So being stock now and fitting 31 fine w/ 3.5 inches of lift I should be able to clear 32" tires easy right. Thanks-
BigJake3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

i know right of the bat moonyjohn is running 32s and im on 265s so you should be good. might have to trim a little bumper depending on your specific vehicle but it shouldnt be anything major at all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.