Rubber tube of mystery! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rubber tube of mystery!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
brokenfish
1995 ZJ 

Rubber tube of mystery!

Hey all. I'm swapping out some brake lines and came across of rubber line I can't figure out. It comes off of the top of my "brake hose body to axle." I have a pdf OEM parts catalogue, and it shows a screw going into its place.

So, what is this thing, what does it do? I need to swap out that brake hose and tee but am having a tough time getting this tube off. Can I just cut it? It looks like it's just stretched over some fitting.

As always, thanks for any help.

brokenfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Just the differential breather.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

vent tube for your diff. Keep it. You dont want water gettin in

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, if that screws been out for a while that goes into the top of your axle you may want to check your differential/axle gear oil since fluid can get out and water can get in. Since there's slack in that hose it wouldn't hurt to cut it off and then put it back onto the new "T". I also looked it up on the parts list and hopefully you'll be able to find the right one. Noticed 2 different part numbers and 2 different screws. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
brokenfish
1995 ZJ 

Awesome, you guys are the best. I'll check the diff oil before I get rolling again as well.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

No problem and believe the correct OE part number is 52007401 for your "Hose Assembly, Rear, Body to axle, w/Drum or Disc Rear brakes" listed under part #5 on the below diagram. Believe this is what we were referring to as a "T" w/hoses and lines attached. The key is "Body to Axle" in the description and great pic in showing this rubber hose is connected to a fitting on the body.

Unfortunately with most older OE lines w/fittings they cost a fortune. Mopar-Wholesale.com is probably the cheapest place around for OE parts. When I entered #52007401 in their search they said this part number has been superseded with 52007401AC and list is $207 while they sell it for $150 plus shipping! Forget that outrageous price!

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/mopar-parts/catalog.html

Time to improvise and believe I'd do away with that 3-way block w/hoses altogether. Find a fitting which will fit directly in the top of the axle vent hole with threads on one end and hose barbs on the other. The screws were listed 1/4" dia and you'll have to check the thread which may be standard. Then once you have a fitting buy a gear oil resistance hose, attach it to the straight up breather fitting with clamps, wire tie it to the top of the axle with the brake lines, and then spice it into the existing hose attached to the body. You could run it to the body fitting by cutting the hose off but I'd be real careful about pulling on it as rusted as your body is. You'll have to leave enough slack in it for the axle to drop down from the body.

Then I'd run a new brake line from where the fitting is on the body bracket (by screw #7) to the line on the axle. You'll have to have a rubber hose in the line somewhere, or all rubber hose altogether, since the axle will be moving up/down. It will take some finagling but well worth the $ savings. Good luck, sorry for the book, and I'll probably have to making the same break line repairs on my 96 4.0.
brake-lines-hoses-rear-94-95-zj-fig-5-560-parts-list.jpg  

Unread 03-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Vent tube for rear axle.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
brokenfish
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all the ideas Uni. Lots of info is good. They have the hose/3-way "T" here, which I got for $60 here (yarg canadian prices!) so I'll be able to swap that out part for part.

I think I'll end up taking your advice on just running a barb up from the vent hole though and mount the "T" off to the side.

I was able to get the screw holding the "T" in place out so I could get a look at it. Turns out the screw wasn't the original part. It was actually just an old barb with the bottom ground off. The threads never made it past the "T", meaning the thing was just sitting in place, not sealed at all. Hopefully there are still threads in the vent hole and I'll be able to get something to hold.
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW brokenfish and I'll have to keep track of that site because looks like a heck of a deal! Thanks for the link!

When I had checked that Mopar-wholesale site for the "T" part I also entered in the screw part numbers and they had both for $3-$4/each. Probably not worth opening an account and pay high shipping for those but are there any dealers up near you? Since you have the correct T-block w/lines believe you may want to attach it to the axle like it was.

Another option is to buy a straight vent type fitting with 1/4"-1" threads on one end and hose barbs on the other end. Then you could put a washer on it and run it though the block to the axle while installed a new vent tube from it to the body. Not sure how strong it would be but may work as an option.*

BTW, the bottom of my 96 is actually more rusted than yours being down here in the rust/salt belt. I have sitting down my basement 25' of poly coated 3/16" steel brake line, lots of fittings, and a new flaring kit which I bought through Amazon. Just waiting for the weather to brake (pun) so I can replace all of my lines. Good luck with yours!

*Edit: Those screws they list for holding the T-block to the axle may very well be like like a "bleeder screw" on a brake caliper where there's a hole in the center for the axle vent tube. Too bad it doesn't show the screw bigger in the diagram (#4) but the top of it doesn't look like any normal screw and you may install it with a wrench.

Unread 03-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

If its just a t-line for a breather couldn't you use a t-line sold at parts stores for vac lines? Seems a lot cheaper to me

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
brokenfish
1995 ZJ 

Hey all, just to bring this back, I ended up getting the part from the dealer. It was $5-10 and showed up the next day. I'll toss up a picture once I find my camera. Unfortunately the threads holding it in place wore/corroded away at some point in its life. I think I'll end up putting in something line what Afdude88 is suggesting.
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
brokenfish
1995 ZJ 

Uni, the tube goes straight through, not like a bleeder, so I guess about anything will work.

I hear you on the rust. They throw salt on the roads 4-5 months of the year around here. I hope the weather's gone your way and you've got to play with your new toys.

Cheers all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.