Rubber freeze plugs? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rubber freeze plugs?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea the freeze plugs are actualy for casting purposes to romove excess sand after the casting problem, as well as for when your motor freeze they are suppose to pop out. But sadly most METAL ones seize and corode or rust, and don't do there job. Which is why they have rubber ones. If installed corectly they do there job. And in your case usualy if a motor over heats the holes where the freeze plugs go sometimes warp. So rubber is usualy a better idea. I've installed them in a few motors and never had an issue. And for those who commented saying they should have freeze plugs to fit it, that is wishfull thinking on your part I run a fleet and when it comes to older vehicles it's is extreamly hard to get such specific parts alot of times. Which is why they make ruber expandable ones.

Unread 02-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

I replaced a leaking freeze plug with one of the rubber ones recently, due to the location being really tough to re-install an OE metal one. The rubber one now leaks worse than the corroded metal original one. My jeep has been sitting for 2 months now, often times in single digit temps, and I don't think it has much in the way of coolant left in it. It's all over the parking lot instead...
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1084 View Post
I used rubber freeze plugs, (expansion plugs), in a 350 SBC when I lived in Colorado. Never had a problem. They hold up just fine.
I used one on my CJ's old engine here in Colorado. Tightened it up about 6 months after installing it, but never had any issues.

It was either that or remove the following to install a brass one:
-steering column
-intake manifold
-exhaust manifold

I took the route that took about 2 minutes and have no regrets.
Unread 02-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

I have seen the nuts rust so maybe good idea to oil the nut & bolt before you put it on. Then you can tighten later. It is like a rubber hose, clamps need periodic tightening. likely same with rubber plugs.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

They are casting plugs, the term freeze plug was coined by an extremely lucky idiot.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well they call the plugs freeze plugs for there purpose of being there. And the whole is actualy a casting hole for wash out after production of the block
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
chicagoanalog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboy View Post
I used one on my CJ's old engine here in Colorado. Tightened it up about 6 months after installing it, but never had any issues.

It was either that or remove the following to install a brass one:
-steering column
-intake manifold
-exhaust manifold

I took the route that took about 2 minutes and have no regrets.

Granted, I live in Chicago proper so it's not just the cold I have to contend with, it's the salt as well. All the same, the rubber was completely corroded. From the outside it looked like it was installed properly and was even a PITA to remove the leaking rubber plug, once I got it out I could see where the rubber had just completely eroded. I don't know who did it, or when it was done, so consequently I don't know how long it's held up (for all I know it could have been 10 years). All I know is that every other plug was OEM steel and holding up fine. The only one that leaked was this rubber plug. I'll stick with brass.
chicagoanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a personal decision
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
ponytail77
1997 ZJ 

where i live it gets pretty cold. can get down below zero here. i had a full size chev. truck once where the freeze plugs rusted holes in them from previous owner lack of antifreeze. i replaced the ones i could with steel and one in particular was very hard to get to so i replaced it with a rubber plug. it was supposed to be a temperary fix until it came loose but it never did. three years later i blew the motor but that plug stayed strong with no leaks. i personally say they work.....they dont cost much.......and in a pinch are a very hard to get to spot they work. but on the other hand i did that to my own truck. would not expect that from a shop......
ponytail77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #25
KJK
1998 ZJ 

As posted before, "freeze plugs" are metal discs used to seal the holes left by the casting process to hold the engine cores in proper alignment. They will not protect a block from cracking due to freezing temperatures.
Unread 02-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #26
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
As posted before, "freeze plugs" are metal discs used to seal the holes left by the casting process to hold the engine cores in proper alignment. They will not protect a block from cracking due to freezing temperatures.
that is one of there functions is to pop out when the water frezzes In a motor. I am a ASE certified mechanic and run a fleet of 47 vehicles so I'm pretty sure I know what they are there for.
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #27
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Being a boater I have seen quite a few engines that were not winterized correctly and the water in the block froze. Once in a while the casting plug will push out without cracking the block but it is certainly not common. I am amazed at the sheer number of people who actually think this was part of the design of the block.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #28
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
Being a boater I have seen quite a few engines that were not winterized correctly and the water in the block froze. Once in a while the casting plug will push out without cracking the block but it is certainly not common. I am amazed at the sheer number of people who actually think this was part of the design of the block.
Like they guy above you...Lol.
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

someone please show me where car manufacturers actually say they make these "freeze plugs" for keeping an engine from cracking? they are designed for casting purposes only and though they work to keep the block from cracking they are not designed for this purpose. if they didn't need the "access" holes in casting there wouldn't be any holes like that on the block. and not to poke back at other users but I am also a ASE certified technician, I have a degree in automotive technology and have done a fair share in machine shop work.

back on topic
never heard of rubber ones but I guess they work. would use them in a pinch if I needed too.

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #30
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I suppose that's the difrence in were you learned what you did. Just because you never heard of them being used or designed in for that purpose doesn't mean it isn't true. It just means you are un aware and not wanting to accept it as a truth.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.