Rubber freeze plugs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rubber freeze plugs?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Rock1127

Rubber freeze plugs?

I got my Jeep back friday and was told that they could not find the right size freeze plug for my jeep, so they put a rubber freeze plug in it. What are the downsides to rubber freeze plugs? They made it sound like it's a bad thing.

"We had to put in a rubber one"

What's the main difference between a rubber freeze plug and the original (besides the obvious)?

Just kind of wondering.

Also, an update on the overheating situation. My dad was able to talk the shop into us ONLY paying labor for what they did. They replaced a few sensors and the freeze plug and fixed the radiator, etc. We just paid the labor cost. That's better than paying for everything, though.

Rock1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never heard of a rubber freeze plug.

I wouldn't think that a rubber plug could resist the heat and pressure.

Think about going to another shop.

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Ronnie4283
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a mechanic and I've never heard of such. I unno bout that...
Ronnie4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I would have accepted it with the caveat that you find the right plug (dealer?) and they put it in n/c.

Rubber freeze plugs sound as usefull as a screen door on a submarine.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Rock1127

After some research and asking around, it seems that pretty much only southern mechanics have ever heard of rubber freeze plugs. They are pretty much not used in the north because of the extreme cold temperatures that render them pretty useless. Here in Georgia, the lowest it gets in winter is MAYBE 30 degrees, with most of the coldest days being around 40. They are able to be put in without removing the block, and they withstand the pressure of the coolant system. Although rubber, they feel extremely hard, almost like an incredibly hard plastic. I had no idea that no one would have heard of them.

The reason a rubber freeze plug was put in was because they couldn't find the original freeze plug, even at the local Chrysler dealer.
Rock1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
chicagoanalog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some donkey put a rubber freeze plug in my 4.0. Noticed coolant pouring out of my block the other day and I replaced it over the weekend with a brass plug. Nearly lost my sh*t when I saw that it was rubber. Come on! Common sense? Maybe this flies south of the macon dixon, but for those of you that live anywhere above the frost line, do yourself a favor and get the brass plugs. Also, lots of instances of block heaters (also with rubber plugs) also leaking and/or blowing out. Just do your research.
chicagoanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

I prefer solid metal plugs but,
um, rubber freeze plug is made of a medium hardness rubber and has a nut on it. When you tighten the nut it expands the rubber against the hole. Then the inner rubber expands and it locked in tightly. The only way it could come out is if the nut comes loose or the rubber fails or it is the wrong size rubber plug for the hole or If the block freezes solid. I have only used them twice in my life and they held fine. they would be better than a loose fitting metal plug.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

how could you not find the correct freeze plugs? there's only a few basic sizes of plugs in all motors...

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
cmonson

freeze plugs are available for I would bet, every vehicle on the road.

Get a new mechanic.

what year of Jeep and engine size?
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Mike1084
1979 CJ7 

I used rubber freeze plugs, (expansion plugs), in a 350 SBC when I lived in Colorado. Never had a problem. They hold up just fine.
Mike1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

Im from Georgia and I have been turning wrenches for quite some time and I have never heard of a rubber freeze plug. You must be from south Georgia. Its getting 28* tonight but for the most part we do only get mid 20s for the lows here in Macon.
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

Freeze Plug - Rubber Expansion by Motormite - Part 02605 - Advance Auto Parts

If the block freezes, I think a rubber plug would be harder for the ice to move than a metal plug.

So were freeze plugs really designed for freezing or are they just casting plugs for cleaning access to the water chamber.
I mean will a 'freeze' plug really keep the block- head from cracking?
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Freeze Plug - Rubber Expansion by Motormite - Part 02605 - Advance Auto Parts

If the block freezes, I think a rubber plug would be harder for the ice to move than a metal plug.

So were freeze plugs really designed for freezing or are they just casting plugs for cleaning access to the water chamber.
I mean will a 'freeze' plug really keep the block- head from cracking?
yep that's what there designed water expands when turning to ice so the excess force pops the plugs out instead of cracking the block,
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

AUTO,TRUCK FREEZE PLUG, CAR COOLING SYSTEM REPAIRS BY ECONOMECHANIX

found this, claims blocks can crack anyway. I had 2 engines freeze on me, and they survived by popping out the plugs. Not all the plugs came out.

a video showing a poorly fitted freeze plug. Some of these plugs come in fractions of 1/64th inch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cIf3...eature=related

Last edited by sdowney717; 02-09-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Isn't the opening filled w/ a freeze plug something needed in making the original casting of the block ?
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.