RPMs bottom out on decel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > RPMs bottom out on decel

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

RPMs bottom out on decel

Hello all. First time poster here. So I apologize if this is an old, worn out question. Couldn't find much on a search though.

So here it is: I've noticed that when coming to a stop, my '93 ZJ 4.0 will drop down to like 200-300 rpm, causing a stall out or near stall. Seems idle fine in park, only does this when coming to a stop.

Not much of a mechanic here, but really hoping to get into doing my own auto repairs/maintenance. Ay suggestions on what might be going on or a good place to start looking?

thebean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
youlost2melol
1995 ZJ 

I had the same problem try cleaning your IAC valve. I had a 5.2 mine was behind my throttle body. yours should be either there or on the side of it
youlost2melol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlost2melol View Post
I had the same problem try cleaning your IAC valve. I had a 5.2 mine was behind my throttle body. yours should be either there or on the side of it
x2

I just did this a few days ago after stalling coming up my driveway and idle so low my engine wouldn't stay running without me gassing it. Cleaning took about 5 or 10 minutes with some carb n throttle body cleaner, believe the screws came out with a Torx bit but the size I can't remember, mighta been a T20. I cleaned the throttle body while I was there and also cleaned out the little channel that leads into your throttle body from the IAC.

After an initial rough start and a bit of white smoke which I suspect was from the carb cleaner, my Jeep now idles smooth and doesn't struggle to stay awake.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the info, guys! Picked up some carb cleaner and would love to get this fixed today, but it is pouring rain in AL today and I am working out of an uncovered driveway. Will give this a shot tomorrow. High hopes for a good outcome!
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

Was able to get around to it last night. Was only able to clean the IAC valve, though, haven't cleaned any other thottle components yet. Seems to have make a big difference, though. Super steady on decel this morning. That thing was GUNKED UP! Thanks again for the help!!
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Nice! Gotta love those easy fixes!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.