RPM matches MPH while coasting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > RPM matches MPH while coasting

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 09-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
proffessor
1997 ZJ 

RPM matches MPH while coasting

97 Grand Cherokee LTD / 318 1/st Jeep

Problem: The engine RPM matches the MPH when in OD or even in neutral when coasting. Tested on hill in neutral and 65mph =2,000 rpm.

I have disconnected battery and had it idle down the first time I tested it , then it quickly goes back to matching the mph. Tested #3 times; twice with battery and once by clearing with code machine (no codes)
In the test with the code machine it never idled down even on the first try.

Seems to drop to idle ramdomly below 30mph.

proffessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

might try replacing your IAC (idle air control) or your speed density air sensor.

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
proffessor
1997 ZJ 

Hey Silas; thanks for the answer. Like I said tho, 1st jeep ... where are they & what do they look like?
are they cleanable? **** could you point me at an IPB?***
I am on a fixed income and cannot troubleshoot by replacing parts.
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Sounds like its just not down shifting when it should. Check your Transmission fluid levels (on level surface, engine running and to normal operating temp, in neutral.) Could be a speed sensor, or governor pressure sensor in the transmission. If the fluid looks ok (level, color, and smell) I would take it up to a tranny shop.

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffessor View Post
97 Grand Cherokee LTD / 318 1/st Jeep

Problem: The engine RPM matches the MPH when in OD or even in neutral when coasting. Tested on hill in neutral and 65mph =2,000 rpm.

I have disconnected battery and had it idle down the first time I tested it , then it quickly goes back to matching the mph. Tested #3 times; twice with battery and once by clearing with code machine (no codes)
In the test with the code machine it never idled down even on the first try.

Seems to drop to idle ramdomly below 30mph.
it's normal, the computer doesn't know it's not in gear and is matching idle input to what would be needed with a load on the engine at that speed.

also, since your torque converter is locked up in overdrive at those speeds, the engine rpms will NOT drop with letting off the pedal, they will drop with vehicle speed untill the torque converter unlocks and allows variation between the motor and the transmission.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
it's normal, the computer doesn't know it's not in gear and is matching idle input to what would be needed with a load on the engine at that speed.

also, since your torque converter is locked up in overdrive at those speeds, the engine rpms will NOT drop with letting off the pedal, they will drop with vehicle speed untill the torque converter unlocks and allows variation between the motor and the transmission.
My jeep doesnt do that when in neutral going down a hill.
MurdaJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
proffessor
1997 ZJ 

Murda... you're right! thats' the beauty of a Mopar type trans ! when you let off the gas; engine rpms drop to nothing & you save fuel. My daughters' '97 drops to idle and millage on the VIC goes to 99 if you are above 50 mph. She has the 6 cylinder tho. SO, if the V-8's are not a totally different acting system I still have not gotten a specific solution.

I have been studying and found that the throttle position sensor on the V-8s' is a dual sender and signals both the engine and transmission. Has anyone out there had the same problem and found the TPS to be the cure?????
Unread 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
proffessor
1997 ZJ 

Update: I cleaned the IAC and the RPM's dropped correctly the first 9 mile trip over & down the mountain. When I started to pick up speed the trans even kicked in with a slight hold-back and just a little increase in RPM. Perfect! On the way back same old ****; RPM matched MPH. Don't know if it was the cleaning or disconnecting the battery that did it.

Does anyone know what Silas means by "speed density air sensor"? It's not on my Electronic engine control component locations chart.
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Map sensor. Manifold absolute pressure. We don't have speed density/mass airflow units.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.