Routine radiator flush n fill - info double check - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Routine radiator flush n fill - info double check

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Routine radiator flush n fill - info double check

So this is what wjjeeps says: (paraphrased)

"Recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and low mineral content water. Only glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT is recommended.

If the percentage of coolant is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.

Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection. Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.
(capacity: 1999-2000: 13.0 qts.)"

So I'm planning to just drain/fill the radiator & distilled water w/ coolant as this is a routine maintenance thing and no issues exist currently such as overheating, heat, leaks, etc.

My questions are:
1. About the additive Water Wetter. I realize what wjjeeps says is prolly taken from the OEM docs. The additive claims to be compatible with everything and provides benefits (though marginal) I'm interested in. Any first-hand experience with their claims?

2. The HOAT I'm reading about as acceptible as Zerex Z05. Any counter ponts? Other recommendations?

Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Both are fine. The additives dont do much unless you are running straight water and need to help lube the water pump. Have never seen it help temperature wise in my experience.

You can pretty much run whatever coolant you want as long as the system is flushed out well and no coolant types are mixed. Get the proper mix and you will be fine.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
nick62087
1999 WJ 

I've ran both water wetter and purple ice in my Thunderbird SC. There was a noticeable difference with the additive. The car was known for overheating issues since Ford made the radiator smaller to make room for the intercooler. Also, the PO added some type of stop leak that clogged everything up, possible adding to the heating issue. Between the first flush/fill, replacing the radiator, and changing the belts (some idiot engineer ran the hose though the belt) I changed the coolant at least 3 times, each time with one of the cooling additives.
I can say first had that they work - but i still probably wouldnt spend $10 on a little bottle of fluid unless i thought i needed it. Never ran it in any of my other cars or jeeps.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.