Routine Maintenance Overpriced? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Routine Maintenance Overpriced?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Routine Maintenance Overpriced?

So I want to get the Front and read differential, transfer case and transmission oil replaced. I thought I would call a few of those 10 minute oil change places and see what their prices were. I was surprised by the cost as the cheapest for all three came to $357. Listed below is the cheapest.

Front and rear differential - $80 per differential (I think this is the synthetic for tow package which i will get even though I dont have the tow package)

Transmission - $150

Transfer Case - $47

I would do all this myself but a bit lazy and never done those before. I found it weird that some other places asked me if i want the gaskets replaced for my differential and another place asking if I want aftermarket oil or mopar oil for my transmission.

Are these prices too high? Is it a ripoff? what can i expect to be charged at a actual shop?

JohnC7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
14dude
1993 ZJ 

well when I did my ft and rear diffs 5 bottles of gear oil about $125, trans service (drop pan and filter) $50, transfer case was $35, oil change special $19.99
That's what I paid for parts and materials did all by myself on a lift oh 4 cans of brake clean bout $25 and basic tools
14dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

4 quarts of Royal Purple would run you $100 , enough for both diffs . You could do syntetic for $80 . 1 tube RTV $5
1trans filter is 30-40 , Mopar gasket $40 , appox 6 quarts of ATF+4 is $45
2 quarts ATF for the T case is $15 .
(all prices approx from Canadian retail)

You could do it yourself for just over $200 . Are those dealer prices ? Will they adjust the bands for that price ? Considering labour rates in Canada (most shops here are $100hr +), it's not a rip off , more an average price .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
melk
1996 ZJ 

Trans filter and gasket is like $7 from any parts store....

ATF4 figure $5/qt, maybe six for a pan drop, add two for the transfer case. $40 total

Gear oil I can't recall offhand... I wanna say maybe $20-30 altogether front&rear

Oil change is $20-30 including a quality filter.

All this takes is a ratchet and a couple appropriate size sockets. Dropping the trans pan is probably the 'worst' part but do it once and you'll learn everything you need to know to make it easier next time.

This can all easily be done in an afternoon, even working slow your first time learning it wouldn't be more than a few hours. Probably 2 if you really wanted to bang it all out at once. Pull the covers and plugs and let everything drain while you do the pan. Button everything back up and refill. About $100 in oils.

Well worth it to do your own work.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Trans filter and gasket is like $7 from any parts store....

ATF4 figure $5/qt, maybe six for a pan drop, add two for the transfer case. $40 total

Gear oil I can't recall offhand... I wanna say maybe $20-30 altogether front&rear

Oil change is $20-30 including a quality filter.

All this takes is a ratchet and a couple appropriate size sockets. Dropping the trans pan is probably the 'worst' part but do it once and you'll learn everything you need to know to make it easier next time.

This can all easily be done in an afternoon, even working slow your first time learning it wouldn't be more than a few hours. Probably 2 if you really wanted to bang it all out at once. Pull the covers and plugs and let everything drain while you do the pan. Button everything back up and refill. About $100 in oils.

Well worth it to do your own work.
Good luck finding those prices in Canada , even if on sale
Cheap filters are $20 , good are $30 , dealer is $40
Cheapest oil is NAPA at $7.50 a quart(atf+4)
Cheapest syn gear oil is $19.95 at Can Tire
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
melk
1996 ZJ 

Yeah lol I went back and saw OP is in Canada, seemed those prices were crazy high!
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Yeah lol I went back and saw OP is in Canada, seemed those prices were crazy high!
It's nuts here , I paid $132 to get 4 tires installed and balanced bringing the tires in myself loose . I remember paying $5-10 a tire

So , if the order is big enough , you can save buying online . Savings are shaved by high shipping costs . What you get for free , I pay $40 + taxes + a brokerage fee
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Hey guys this is awesome. Yea things are a bit pricier here in Canada. Although the price doesn't matter to much doing it myself as I get 50% off with my account at my local lordco. Average labor even for some good shops I go to charge $60 an hour. The jeep only has 130,000 KMs on it. I wanted to see if those prices I got at the 10 minute change shop is over priced. Also they do include a 21 point inspection and courtesy vacuum cleaning hahah.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnC7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
melk
1996 ZJ 

The thing is with any place that you take it to have the oil changed, well, you get what you pay for. Cheap price sounds nice but I doubt they're putting in a synthetic oil, or a top quality filter for that matter.

I also can't imagine they are doing much more than a simple drain and fill. Whenever I change my oil I let it sit and drip all out, then take a fresh quart of oil and pour it through to flush it out. Takes on average at least half a quart before it starts coming out clean.
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Those prices dont seem bad if they are doing it the right way, or the way most people would do it in their driveway or shop. Most of the quick lube places use those evac machines, they simply cram a hose down the fill tube or fill holes and suck out the old fluid and put new fluid in. I can't speak for the places around you but I have seen it this way in a lot of other places. If they are popping the diff covers, dropping the pan and replacing the filter then its a decent deal.

Some people need to consider the pricing for this stuff to include gaskets, sealant, filter, additives, shop supplies (rags, brake clean, fluid disposal etc) then they have to pay someone to do the work. The business is probably paying rent, taxes, liability insurance, workers comp, permits, licenses and/or whatever other fees and taxes it takes to run the business. Paying someone else to do the work is a convenience and many times the simpler things to do are what seems to be the higher priced things. Other factors are if you screw something up doing it yourself, thats your problem. If a shop screws up working on your car, its their problem.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
. Other factors are if you screw something up doing it yourself, thats your problem.
it doesn't take a rocket scientist to change some fluids. I've been doing all the fluid changes on my parents vehicles since i was 11 years old
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

^ I agree.

There are enough write-ups, FAQ's, YouTube vids, etc. online that can be found quite easily to avoid screwing something up. Not to throw around the gender card, but I am female and have done all the maintenance posted above with no issues breaking anything. That is why the engineers designed dipsticks and weep holes. I also spent the extra $20 on LubeLocker gaskets for the front/rear diff. I find the RTV to be a little messy for me.

Even if you are timid on doing the transmission filter change at least attempt the front, rear diff, and the oil change. Save yourself some money. The front and rear diff took me maybe 30 minutes.
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Those prices are not crazy high at all, completely normal.

Personally, I won't let just anybody pull the trans pan. It's either myself, or a trans shop.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.