routine maintenance - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > routine maintenance

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
robd2003
2002 WJ 

BTW to the which rear axle do i have. it has the rubber plug upper right side? Ive never seen a rubber plug before?

robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #17
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

94 grand cherokee routine maintenance v8 5.2

Hi, guys

I was wondering about routine maintenance....

I did a tune up 3000 mile ago.

replaced rear brake line 400 miles ago

replace both wheel cylinders 400 miles ago

replace hardware kit in drums 400 miles ago

replaced drums 1000 miles ago

replace brake pads and rotor 1000 miles ago

replaced VC 4000 miles ago.

changed transmission oil 200 miles ago and transfer case oil 200 miles ago

replaced radiator 2000 miles ago

differential oil changed 4000 miles ago

oil change 1000 miles ago

cv axle changed 1000 miles ago

replaced battery 6000 miles ago

replaced alternator 3000 miles ago

bought new tires.

so is there anything i'm missing?
tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
robd2003
2002 WJ 

seems to me as you have done it all, and then some

i currently have an xj now, no longer have the wj. but i still need to do a tune up as i have literally built the jeep in about 5 weekends to make myself a new dd. But im pretty sure you covered it all.
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #19
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
seems to me as you have done it all, and then some

i currently have an xj now, no longer have the wj. but i still need to do a tune up as i have literally built the jeep in about 5 weekends to make myself a new dd. But im pretty sure you covered it all.

i'm at 104,000 miles when is the next time i need to check stuff for another big maintenance, when do i need to redo some things and at what mileage would i need to do stuff and what would i need to replace at that time?
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #20
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersjeep View Post
i'm at 104,000 miles when is the next time i need to check stuff for another big maintenance, when do i need to redo some things and at what mileage would i need to do stuff and what would i need to replace at that time?
and you built an xj?
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
robd2003
2002 WJ 

I think the next big interval is 130,000 miles for the big things, i usually changed my fluids in the diffs/transfercase every 12,000 miles but thats just me. Never touched trans fluid because it was still very sweet smelling and very red when i got it.

and yes, i traded a running 1995 nissan pathfinder for a 1994 Jeep Cherokee(rolling chassis)- it needed a motor trans, axle. minor rust repair, a lift kit, new brake lines, and a set of wheels and tires, I started with nothing essentially and had to find all my bolts and nuts and everything
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I think the next big interval is 130,000 miles for the big things, i usually changed my fluids in the diffs/transfercase every 12,000 miles but thats just me. Never touched trans fluid because it was still very sweet smelling and very red when i got it.

and yes, i traded a running 1995 nissan pathfinder for a 1994 Jeep Cherokee(rolling chassis)- it needed a motor trans, axle. minor rust repair, a lift kit, new brake lines, and a set of wheels and tires, I started with nothing essentially and had to find all my bolts and nuts and everything
just wondering should i replace the front and the main brake line that goes from the cylinder to the rear axle its never been done so i sprayed anti-rust stuff on it, but i'm concerned because i replaced the rear but not the rest is that a problem?
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Depends if it is pitted really bad, I work at a jeep motuary, and some jeeps have some pretty horrendous rot on the brake lines, some dont it really just depends, my WJ that i owned needed it replaced but never did so.
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Depends if it is pitted really bad, I work at a jeep motuary, and some jeeps have some pretty horrendous rot on the brake lines, some dont it really just depends, my WJ that i owned needed it replaced but never did so.
I got a guy coming out on wed to take a look at them, because replacing the main line and to two front ones is not something i would want to do or mess with, plus he said he would do it for 30.00 bucks pluse parts so it no biggy

now that I've done all the repairs I'm thinking about a 4" lift and a super 44 flowmaster, would i have to modify the drive shafts, and whats a good lift?
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #25
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Yeah id let someone make and install brake lines, i wouldnt want to kink it or something.

As far as lifts go and modifying your driveshaft(front one) depends on which one you have. At 4" you gotta replace a lot of stuff

-tracbar
-control arms
-sway bar end links
-transfer case drop(I wouldnt recommend unless you have vibes)

i notice you have a zj. fairly similiar to a wj.
But i would stay away from Rough Country unless your on a super tight budget.

I ran RC-X series 4" lift with 265/70r17 on my wj.
On my xj im running 3" Zone Off-Road with extended brake lines on 265/70r17

Back to the driveshaft though, im pretty sure zj has u-joints on both ends, ive yet to see one at the yard with cv-style driveshaft. Super 44 will sound good on a 4.0 or 5.2 i enjoy my flowmaster.

What size tire are you wanting to run?
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #26
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah id let someone make and install brake lines, i wouldnt want to kink it or something.

As far as lifts go and modifying your driveshaft(front one) depends on which one you have. At 4" you gotta replace a lot of stuff

-tracbar
-control arms
-sway bar end links
-transfer case drop(I wouldnt recommend unless you have vibes)

i notice you have a zj. fairly similiar to a wj.
But i would stay away from Rough Country unless your on a super tight budget.

I ran RC-X series 4" lift with 265/70r17 on my wj.
On my xj im running 3" Zone Off-Road with extended brake lines on 265/70r17

Back to the driveshaft though, im pretty sure zj has u-joints on both ends, ive yet to see one at the yard with cv-style driveshaft. Super 44 will sound good on a 4.0 or 5.2 i enjoy my flowmaster.

What size tire are you wanting to run?
I was thanking 235/75/15 sense i just bought them new for 250.00 and there off road tires.

is putting a super 44 a easy thing to do?

and am i better off putting a 3" vs 4" less modification whats a cheap but good lift?

and ya I'm not messing with front and main lines, i did the rear myself and the main one needs some one pipe binding skills because there's a lot of binding, the guy said he would do it for 30 buck I said okay i'm not going to argue with that price a dealer would charge 500.00. this guy did my tanny and transfer case for 20.00 bucks I usually do it myself but i could not resist a offer like that, i mean the dealer charges 75.00 for the transfer case oil and 120.00 for the transmission, i'm not sure why this guy is doing stuff for so cheap, i kind feel bad.

by the way I have a NP249 case with a new VC with only 4000 miles on it, I was think about putting in a NP231 but i was worried about having four wheel drive in the rain and snow, the wranglers have the NP231 and there the most bad *** jeep off-road. I had a NP242 before I bought a new VC because I could not get the roll pill out to change the input gear, so I ended up buying a new VC instead of a NP242 I ended up with a new VC, how's the NP231
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #27
robd2003
2002 WJ 

the muffler is easy, probably will need couple of reducers, and a couple of exhaust clamps. just cut off old muffler, and install new one. just make sure to get the right off-set of where the exhaust enters and exits the muffler.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=65&gr=-1
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #28
robd2003
2002 WJ 

as far as a 231, there are lots of options in the aftermarket for it. 2wd,4hi,n,4lo lot of companies offer a SYE to if you ever decide to go bigger.

and it bolts right up. im pretty sure you'd need new driveshafts though with the swap. but not 100% sure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.