routine maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > routine maintenance

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
robd2003
2002 WJ 

routine maintenance

So, I know I need to change rest of fluids
Done:
New Radiator
Oil/Oil Filter Change

To DO:
Change Spark Plugs
Front Diff
Rear Diff
Transfer Case
and Transmission

I've looked and searched, and with all the post ive followed and read, Ive gotten myself lost :?

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition 4.7L HO with quadra drive
So Im curios what oil do i use for the FRONT/REAR Diff
What type of fluid for transfer case
and what type of transmision fluid should i use
and should i go somewhere that does tranny flush hince it has 104300 on the OD

robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Transfer case and Transmission both use ATF+4.
Front and rear diff's can use either 75-140 or 85-140, get friction modifier's though for each diff and add that along with a fluid change.
Rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
kromberg
1993 ZJ 

owners manual. its all in there. and i tend to stay away from tranny flushes bc i have heard horror stories about them. mine has 209xxx and i have never gotten it flushed. just change the fluid often
1993 ZJ 4.0L I6, White Jeep member #1993 Check out my build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/krombergs-zj-build-thread-977508
kromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Alright Thanks,
Yeah I didnt know about the whole flush. I have a 95' Nissan Pathfinder with 200XXX and never once have i done more than an oil change every now and then. It was ruined when I got it as a first vehicle almost 4.5 yrs ago. haha needless to say it does still run but the jeep i would like to maintain it as i am building it up very very slowly.
the friction modifier is that for the viscous coupler design that the wj came with in the diffs.
also my qudra drive doesnt work in awd but does work in 4lo
maybe changing the fluid in it will fix it?
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
Alright Thanks,
Yeah I didnt know about the whole flush. I have a 95' Nissan Pathfinder with 200XXX and never once have i done more than an oil change every now and then. It was ruined when I got it as a first vehicle almost 4.5 yrs ago. haha needless to say it does still run but the jeep i would like to maintain it as i am building it up very very slowly.
the friction modifier is that for the viscous coupler design that the wj came with in the diffs.
also my qudra drive doesnt work in awd but does work in 4lo
maybe changing the fluid in it will fix it?
Friction modifier can be used in you're diffs.

Try to change the fluid, also check the linkage, if those don't work then it may be internal damage.
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

hey- Your transfer case needs a fluid other than ATF, if you have the QDrive. You will need to grab some from the dealer or pick up some MobilFluid424 or equivilent. Amsoil offers the ATH fluid that crosses over also, but it is NOT ATF+4.
Also if you pick up some of the better Gear Lubes, they may have the friction modifier in them, so double check that prior to buying the extra additive. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, for instance, has it in it.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
robd2003
2002 WJ 

right on.
1)i was leaning towards changing the fluid in the transfer case and seeing if its just old fluid on why it doesnt work

2)How do i tell what front/rear diff i have
"Ive looked at many pics" yet i get confused easly with all the pics cause id like to get nice diff covers"
I do know what gearing i have since mine is the 4.7ho with trailer package made it real easy to figure out

3)is there a fill plug on the tranny? or does it all have to be poured down the dipstick tube
"nissan had to be filled down dipstick:/ mad it a slow refill process"
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
hey- Your transfer case needs a fluid other than ATF, if you have the QDrive. You will need to grab some from the dealer or pick up some MobilFluid424 or equivilent. Amsoil offers the ATH fluid that crosses over also, but it is NOT ATF+4.
Also if you pick up some of the better Gear Lubes, they may have the friction modifier in them, so double check that prior to buying the extra additive. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, for instance, has it in it.
Lol way to try and sell you're product.
You need mopar transer case lube. can be bought at jeep/dodge dealers,
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Maintenance information and schedules

ATF+4 worked perfectly fine in my aunt's WJ, she has quadra drive, i changed it out for her, my uncle is a mopar guy, he just told her to buy atf+4, and she paid me $20 to replace her old fluid with atf+4, still works perfectly fine and this was about 2.5 years ago.
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
kromberg
1993 ZJ 

3) fill with the dipstick. i know it blows. but owell
1993 ZJ 4.0L I6, White Jeep member #1993 Check out my build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/krombergs-zj-build-thread-977508
kromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
right on.
1)i was leaning towards changing the fluid in the transfer case and seeing if its just old fluid on why it doesnt work

2)How do i tell what front/rear diff i have
"Ive looked at many pics" yet i get confused easly with all the pics cause id like to get nice diff covers"
I do know what gearing i have since mine is the 4.7ho with trailer package made it real easy to figure out

3)is there a fill plug on the tranny? or does it all have to be poured down the dipstick tube
"nissan had to be filled down dipstick:/ mad it a slow refill process"
1. drain and check fluid, shouldn't be burnt or discolored.
2. my best guess would be dana 30 front 35c rear maybe a 44.
get a pic of it and we can tell you.
3. yes has to be filled via dipstick
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Alright, all helping out quite well
as for pics, well when i get off work today ill snap some pics and post em up

as for the dipstick ehh slow ha but its all great
for the tranny pan should i get the new gasket also? im thinking i need to..
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

If you have a V-8 you have the 44A in the rear & a 30 up front. it should have a 3.73 gear in it.

In most cases if you pick up a filter kit like the Wix 58843 (Napa can cross that # for you), it should have the gasket included. & you have 2 filters (both are in the Wix kit), the large flat filter that will have one small torx head screw holding it up & the pickup tube has to be inserted correctly or it will suck air (ask me how I know) & there is a spin on filter in the pan as well. Change both.
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyb View Post
Lol way to try and sell you're product.
You need mopar transer case lube. can be bought at jeep/dodge dealers,
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Maintenance information and schedules

ATF+4 worked perfectly fine in my aunt's WJ, she has quadra drive, i changed it out for her, my uncle is a mopar guy, he just told her to buy atf+4, and she paid me $20 to replace her old fluid with atf+4, still works perfectly fine and this was about 2.5 years ago.
That would be YOUR product.

How hard does your aunt wheel her Jeep?

I mentioned the Dealer fluid & gave the cross reference info for it as well. Depending on the dealer, it can be very pricey with a Mopar sticker on it. Since Mopar shut down it's refinery & blending plant, they started buying spec fluid from other places. That fluid happens to be a MobilFluid 424 spec fluid & the Amsoil ATH works quite well & matches the spec. There are others available as well, just trying to help the OP out, not telling him the wrong info.
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #14
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Alright, seems simple enough.
Might do the fluid changes this weeked if its nice enough out.
no garage kinda sucks

luckily i have a napa parts store in town
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
That would be YOUR product.

How hard does your aunt wheel her Jeep?

I mentioned the Dealer fluid & gave the cross reference info for it as well. Depending on the dealer, it can be very pricey with a Mopar sticker on it. Since Mopar shut down it's refinery & blending plant, they started buying spec fluid from other places. That fluid happens to be a MobilFluid 424 spec fluid & the Amsoil ATH works quite well & matches the spec. There are others available as well, just trying to help the OP out, not telling him the wrong info.
How is it my product?

My uncle and her go out every summer to camp and they take it out, she has a 3" lift on it now, my uncle has a off-road only cj fully locked and 6" lift, it's beastly. She prob. wheels it once or twice every month, it also is used as a dd and gets driven 70 mile round trip for her to go to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.