JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   routine maintenance (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/routine-maintenance-986596/)

robd2003 03-08-2010 01:43 AM

routine maintenance
 
So, I know I need to change rest of fluids
Done:
New Radiator
Oil/Oil Filter Change

To DO:
Change Spark Plugs
Front Diff
Rear Diff
Transfer Case
and Transmission

I've looked and searched, and with all the post ive followed and read, Ive gotten myself lost :?

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition 4.7L HO with quadra drive
So Im curios what oil do i use for the FRONT/REAR Diff
What type of fluid for transfer case
and what type of transmision fluid should i use
and should i go somewhere that does tranny flush hince it has 104300 on the OD

Rickyb 03-08-2010 01:45 AM

Transfer case and Transmission both use ATF+4.
Front and rear diff's can use either 75-140 or 85-140, get friction modifier's though for each diff and add that along with a fluid change.

kromberg 03-08-2010 01:46 AM

owners manual. its all in there. and i tend to stay away from tranny flushes bc i have heard horror stories about them. mine has 209xxx and i have never gotten it flushed. just change the fluid often

robd2003 03-08-2010 02:00 AM

Alright Thanks,
Yeah I didnt know about the whole flush. I have a 95' Nissan Pathfinder with 200XXX and never once have i done more than an oil change every now and then. It was ruined when I got it as a first vehicle almost 4.5 yrs ago. haha needless to say it does still run but the jeep i would like to maintain it as i am building it up very very slowly.
the friction modifier is that for the viscous coupler design that the wj came with in the diffs.
also my qudra drive doesnt work in awd but does work in 4lo
maybe changing the fluid in it will fix it?

Rickyb 03-08-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robd2003 (Post 9040500)
Alright Thanks,
Yeah I didnt know about the whole flush. I have a 95' Nissan Pathfinder with 200XXX and never once have i done more than an oil change every now and then. It was ruined when I got it as a first vehicle almost 4.5 yrs ago. haha needless to say it does still run but the jeep i would like to maintain it as i am building it up very very slowly.
the friction modifier is that for the viscous coupler design that the wj came with in the diffs.
also my qudra drive doesnt work in awd but does work in 4lo
maybe changing the fluid in it will fix it?

Friction modifier can be used in you're diffs.

Try to change the fluid, also check the linkage, if those don't work then it may be internal damage.

Ridin' Around 03-08-2010 02:07 AM

hey- Your transfer case needs a fluid other than ATF, if you have the QDrive. You will need to grab some from the dealer or pick up some MobilFluid424 or equivilent. Amsoil offers the ATH fluid that crosses over also, but it is NOT ATF+4.
Also if you pick up some of the better Gear Lubes, they may have the friction modifier in them, so double check that prior to buying the extra additive. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, for instance, has it in it.

robd2003 03-08-2010 02:10 AM

right on.
1)i was leaning towards changing the fluid in the transfer case and seeing if its just old fluid on why it doesnt work

2)How do i tell what front/rear diff i have
"Ive looked at many pics" yet i get confused easly with all the pics cause id like to get nice diff covers"
I do know what gearing i have since mine is the 4.7ho with trailer package made it real easy to figure out

3)is there a fill plug on the tranny? or does it all have to be poured down the dipstick tube
"nissan had to be filled down dipstick:/ mad it a slow refill process"

Rickyb 03-08-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin' Around (Post 9040510)
hey- Your transfer case needs a fluid other than ATF, if you have the QDrive. You will need to grab some from the dealer or pick up some MobilFluid424 or equivilent. Amsoil offers the ATH fluid that crosses over also, but it is NOT ATF+4.
Also if you pick up some of the better Gear Lubes, they may have the friction modifier in them, so double check that prior to buying the extra additive. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, for instance, has it in it.

Lol way to try and sell you're product.
You need mopar transer case lube. can be bought at jeep/dodge dealers,
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Maintenance information and schedules

ATF+4 worked perfectly fine in my aunt's WJ, she has quadra drive, i changed it out for her, my uncle is a mopar guy, he just told her to buy atf+4, and she paid me $20 to replace her old fluid with atf+4, still works perfectly fine and this was about 2.5 years ago.

kromberg 03-08-2010 02:16 AM

3) fill with the dipstick. i know it blows. but owell

Rickyb 03-08-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robd2003 (Post 9040515)
right on.
1)i was leaning towards changing the fluid in the transfer case and seeing if its just old fluid on why it doesnt work

2)How do i tell what front/rear diff i have
"Ive looked at many pics" yet i get confused easly with all the pics cause id like to get nice diff covers"
I do know what gearing i have since mine is the 4.7ho with trailer package made it real easy to figure out

3)is there a fill plug on the tranny? or does it all have to be poured down the dipstick tube
"nissan had to be filled down dipstick:/ mad it a slow refill process"

1. drain and check fluid, shouldn't be burnt or discolored.
2. my best guess would be dana 30 front 35c rear maybe a 44.
get a pic of it and we can tell you.
3. yes has to be filled via dipstick

robd2003 03-08-2010 02:28 AM

Alright, all helping out quite well
as for pics, well when i get off work today ill snap some pics and post em up

as for the dipstick ehh slow ha but its all great
for the tranny pan should i get the new gasket also? im thinking i need to..

Ridin' Around 03-08-2010 02:44 AM

If you have a V-8 you have the 44A in the rear & a 30 up front. it should have a 3.73 gear in it.

In most cases if you pick up a filter kit like the Wix 58843 (Napa can cross that # for you), it should have the gasket included. & you have 2 filters (both are in the Wix kit), the large flat filter that will have one small torx head screw holding it up & the pickup tube has to be inserted correctly or it will suck air (ask me how I know) & there is a spin on filter in the pan as well. Change both.

Ridin' Around 03-08-2010 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickyb (Post 9040520)
Lol way to try and sell you're product.
You need mopar transer case lube. can be bought at jeep/dodge dealers,
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Maintenance information and schedules

ATF+4 worked perfectly fine in my aunt's WJ, she has quadra drive, i changed it out for her, my uncle is a mopar guy, he just told her to buy atf+4, and she paid me $20 to replace her old fluid with atf+4, still works perfectly fine and this was about 2.5 years ago.

That would be YOUR product.

How hard does your aunt wheel her Jeep?

I mentioned the Dealer fluid & gave the cross reference info for it as well. Depending on the dealer, it can be very pricey with a Mopar sticker on it. Since Mopar shut down it's refinery & blending plant, they started buying spec fluid from other places. That fluid happens to be a MobilFluid 424 spec fluid & the Amsoil ATH works quite well & matches the spec. There are others available as well, just trying to help the OP out, not telling him the wrong info.

robd2003 03-08-2010 03:29 AM

Alright, seems simple enough.
Might do the fluid changes this weeked if its nice enough out.
no garage kinda sucks

luckily i have a napa parts store in town :D

Rickyb 03-08-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin' Around (Post 9040547)
That would be YOUR product.

How hard does your aunt wheel her Jeep?

I mentioned the Dealer fluid & gave the cross reference info for it as well. Depending on the dealer, it can be very pricey with a Mopar sticker on it. Since Mopar shut down it's refinery & blending plant, they started buying spec fluid from other places. That fluid happens to be a MobilFluid 424 spec fluid & the Amsoil ATH works quite well & matches the spec. There are others available as well, just trying to help the OP out, not telling him the wrong info.

How is it my product?

My uncle and her go out every summer to camp and they take it out, she has a 3" lift on it now, my uncle has a off-road only cj fully locked and 6" lift, it's beastly. She prob. wheels it once or twice every month, it also is used as a dd and gets driven 70 mile round trip for her to go to work.


The time now is 10:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.