Rough Turns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Turns

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Sal

Rough Turns

I have a 94 GC with the Quadra-Trac and when I make tight turns the car really shakes and the steering wheel jerks. Is this normal with this full time 4*4? It reminds me of a old Chevy with locking hubs dog tailing. Any ideas?
Thanks
Salvatore

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
spichman510

Its as normal as i've ever heard. everyone ahs this problem. Not exaclty sure Why: if its rubbing or the tires trying to pull the car at and odd angle. Prob the later. But its normal

-'98 5.9 Grand Cherokee-[/B]
spichman510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
Stocker

Definitely NOT normal!

Mine has never done it; from all I've read, that's a symptom of a failing (or failed!) viscous coupling (transfer case). Seems to be a pretty common problem. Try a search here or over at JU. Good luck!
Unread 06-20-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
spichman510

Stocker i got that checked out and no problems, and look and the post on replacing the the 249 with 242 one of the main reasons was the guy was angry about parking lots looking like a fool bucking in his jeep.

Unread 06-20-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
Sal

Spichman510, You had it checked out by a shop. What did they say? Is this normal? Seems pretty weird parking, they jeep kicks like a mule, pretty funny to look at me park. Did these GC do this new?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2003, 07:33 PM   #6
spichman510

This problem occurs at slow speeds right? This is not a sign of failing viscous coupling because the viscous coupling WILL do its job when the tire slips aka on a slippery road and very little traction. However, in a parking lot you will be going at such low speeds that the tire will have more than enough traction so that there will be no slipping aka the viscous coupling will still give equal power to each tire. So the bucking is caused by the truning front tires pulling the way they are pulling ang the back ones pusching forward causing a kinda push and pull thing but at high speed you do this and the front tires will lose traction causing a slip and the viscous coupling will do its job transfering power and less power to the front tires gives the backs more force and they will win this "tug o' war". At higher speeds stocker is right maybe even in the parking lot, there could be a problem but mine only happens at VERY low speeds, so i would get it checked out either way and see what they say.

Unread 06-20-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
Ryan2son

Good information-thanks

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.