Rough Idle/High Idle/Weird Shifting FIXED!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Idle/High Idle/Weird Shifting FIXED!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
UKFan4Sure!
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Idle/High Idle/Weird Shifting FIXED!!

OK, let me explain the original problem and I am hoping someone can benefit from my experience on my 99 WJ with the 4.0L......

About a month ago, my wife explained that the Jeep started "revving" high and wouldn't slow down. She thought it was going to get away from her and it scared her. It did finally die back down to idle though. I thought she was going nuts.....until it did it with me in the car with her one day about a week later.

About two weeks ago, it started running erratically and died several times like it wasn't getting fuel or spark. It also developed a habit of feeling like the tranny was slipping or bumping when going over a slight rise or float on the interstate. Kind of like it was catching up with itself.

Needless to say, I thought the tranny was going out, I had a manifold leak, and that the fuel pump was going out. Time to trade in the ol' Grand Cherokee......??

Not quite. I changed the plugs (had double the recommended gap ), and cleaned the IAC valve as recommended on this forum. It seemed OK at first, but last week, it did the same thing again. And again. Back to the drawing board. It also threw codes, PO123 (TPS Pedal Pos Sensor A Circuit High Input) and PO121 (A Circuit Range)

Enough is enough. I went to AutoZoned(out) and got both the TPS sensor and the IAC valve for a grand total of $101. I installed them both today and have had zero problems after 50 miles of driving. It is much smoother and doesn't have any problems now. It would hardly run yesterday.

Thought I would pass this on. I recommend changing them both as PM if you have over 100K on your car. Cheap insurance from a lot of headaches!!

UKFan4Sure! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
G4teamG

Darn it!!! Already did all of that and still have the same problem. Thanks for posting, though.
G4teamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
litint
1998 ZJ 

how hard to install the sensor and valve?
Unread 04-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

easy on an I6 lots a room. it's a bit harder on the v8. definately need to pull the throttle body for it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Actually on my 5.2 I got both of mine out without having to remove the TB. The IAC is definitely a tight fit but it can be done.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
litint
1998 ZJ 

just take off the throttle body? thats not hard i had to semi- do that when i used seafoam...yea obv i have the v8

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.