Rough Idle / Dies when changing gears / Dies in low RPM's only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Idle / Dies when changing gears / Dies in low RPM's only

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
MFS_WJ

Rough Idle / Dies when changing gears / Dies in low RPM's only

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lately it has been having trouble keeping idle when I start it, it'll start fine and the RPM needle goes up and as soon as I take my hand off the key to shift into reverse from park it will drop down swiftly and die or die when I shift into reverse. A couple of times it has died at a red light at low RPM's idling, and at a stop sign. Other times when I shift from reverse to drive and vice versa. This coincides with battery voltage problems, such as a few times where I have left my lights on for less than 15 minutes each time when the car's off and it has killed the battery so that I need to get jump started.

Just trying to get an idea of what may be wrong and where I should start. Tomorrow i will try cleaning the battery of corrosion etc and if that doesn't help then I think I will try a new battery if I don't get any advice from someone on here first. Thanks.

MFS_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
dickensheets

If it's the 4.7 you may want to clean the IAC with some brake parts cleaner and a toothbrush. It improved the idle in my 99 wj. IAC controls engine speed when the throttle is closed (starting, sitting at stoplight, etc.) You may even need a new one?? It's located on driver side of throttle body right under the position sensor. Two small hex nuts and pull out and clean.
Unread 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
MFS_WJ

I wanted to follow up to my post, just in case someone is dealing with the same issues as I was but can't find any answers on the web.

When I went to clean my battery I lifted one of the battery connectors and under the cable was a huge crack hidden and so because the battery had pretty much cracked in half, that was the sole reason behind my weird idle & die out issues. At first I thought it was a fuel line among other things but it was all related to my cracked battery. I bought a new one, cleaned off the corroded connectors and everything is back to perfect!

Long story short, if you're having strange engine issues with idling and die outs then check your battery for corrosion!
MFS_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS_WJ
I wanted to follow up to my post, just in case someone is dealing with the same issues as I was but can't find any answers on the web.

When I went to clean my battery I lifted one of the battery connectors and under the cable was a huge crack hidden and so because the battery had pretty much cracked in half, that was the sole reason behind my weird idle & die out issues. At first I thought it was a fuel line among other things but it was all related to my cracked battery. I bought a new one, cleaned off the corroded connectors and everything is back to perfect!

Long story short, if you're having strange engine issues with idling and die outs then check your battery for corrosion!
Good post... thanks for the follow up
Lots of folks will ask a question, resolve the problem, and keep it a secret! By posting the solution, you made this forum a better place.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.