Rough Idle/check engine light on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Idle/check engine light on

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Cherokee0512
2003 WJ 

Rough Idle/check engine light on

Hey Y'all,

My 03 grand cherokee has been running rough at idle, seems to shake the truck some. I also have a check engine light on. My local garage says I either have a bad O2 sensor or my catalytic converter is possibly clogged. How do I know which it may be?

Cherokee0512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

check the code

Retrieving codes:

Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are present then "Done" will appear.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm#SYSTEMS
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Cherokee0512
2003 WJ 

P0420

I am getting the same diagnostic code of p0420, could be an O2 sensor or the converter.
Cherokee0512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

That code is thrown when the downstream O2 sensor signal oscillates at nearly the same frequency as the upstream sensor signal. Normally the downstream sensor oscillates more slowly. It is very, very unusual for an O2 sensor to go bad in such a way to trigger the P0420 code. Because that just doesn't happen, the manufacturers use that method to gauge catalytic converter efficiency. You need to have the cat replaced.

With the right equipment, a mechanic can display the signal voltages from both the upstream and downstream at the same time and confirm that it is or not an O2 sensor problem. You might want to have that done before the cat is replaced, but there will be a cost for the diagnosis.

Bank 1 is the bank of cylinders on the driver's side in the V8. For the I6, it's the front three cylinders.
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
wj03grandy
2003 WJ 

im having the same problem but my cel is not on. and im getting a very dark black soot building up on my tail pipe
wj03grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
volvite
1999 WJ 

try cleaning your idle air control vavle. you can buy cleaner at your local auto parts store, and the valve is on the right side of the TB when looking at the engine from the front.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.