Rough Country zj winch plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Country zj winch plate

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Rough Country zj winch plate

Who's got one? Any pics of your zj with one? How do you like it?

roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...winch-1275075/
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

thanks looks smhexy. Anyone have any reviews on it? like the quality of the paint, metal etc? would you trust the d ring mounts for big pulls?
roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Got one sitting on my bench right now awaiting install. RC sent me the wrong winch. That's the holdup. 5 pieces...the main, 2 brackets, and 2 supports. The main piece and brackets are 1/4" and the supports are 3/16". Welds look pretty nice.
winch1.jpg  
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I've been impressed with RC recently. Looks like a quality piece. Let us know how it takes a winch pull, and post some pics.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Sure thing. I may start the install this weekend since a storm has rolled in. I'll snap a pic or two if I do. Actually it wasn't the wrong winch I got, it was a winch with cable instead of rope. RC sent me rope and I'm waiting on a Hawse fairlead. Apparently you can't use metal roller fairleads with rope. But I think its Energy Suspension or Prothane that makes poly rollers to retrofit your roller fairlead for rope.

Oh yea I was waiting on a 17/32" drill bit required for the install. Got here yesterday. Not that common of a size. Lowes didn't have one so I just went online.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
denso
1996 ZJ 

rc winch mount

I got mine about 2 month ago ,easy to install looks great,one thing I noticed though is its made off-center,meaning ,if you stand directly in front of the vehicle it isnt centered,the fairlead is off further from one side to the other...the holes its mounted to are the same holes the factory tow hook brackets mount to.I didnt need to drill any holes at all ,the optional d-rings seem heavy duty enough,I believe thats the rc 1039d-ring kit,I had to lightly sand the pins that screw into the d-rings they are a tight fit,this is so they dont rattle,the powder coating on them is put on thick for this reason...the mount itself has a good powdercoating on it also!
denso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Juedu2
1998 ZJ 

I wanted one of these but the cost in the UK is crazy... and shipping from the US would be more than the plate due to the weight....

There is one on Ebay for Price:US $229.95
LOL and the shipping is :- Shipping: $464.20 UPS Worldwide Expedited

HOWEVER.....

Reading the fitting instructions gave me to basics to have a go and build one from scratch..

The result

Winch to follow soon
A bar fitted for the time being just as a safety feature to stop people walking into a 1/4" steel plate

Last edited by Juedu2; 06-04-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Juedu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Oh yea I was waiting on a 17/32" drill bit required for the install. Got here yesterday. Not that common of a size. Lowes didn't have one so I just went online.
Yaaa know if you had gone to an Ace, we stock those reguarly...
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Rc plates been holding up really well besides dime surface rust, can't wait till I get a full steel bumper though
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
Yaaa know if you had gone to an Ace, we stock those reguarly...
I ended up not needing it
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
95_ZJ_Limited
1995 ZJ 

I like the look and the price to match is not bad either. Good way to put a winch on, definitly looking at this for a future mod
95_ZJ_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

the RC plate is probably as strong as a mounting point you can make. i'd build a bumper off the mounts, or something like did. no i won't make it for you mines pretty unique and i love that lol

13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ
the RC plate is probably as strong as a mounting point you can make. i'd build a bumper off the mounts, or something like did. no i won't make it for you mines pretty unique and i love that lol
I really do like yours, I just don't have the fabrication skills or tools to do it. So I'm planning on getting something similar to Kevin's offroad front stinger bumper or maybe notch customs bumpers if they look good/can handle a beating.
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

So, those that have an RC winch mount plate - do these mount to the factory holes for the factory tow hook mounts on the underneath side of the bumper?

I'm trying to determine if you lose your factory tow hooks if you install the RC winch mount plate?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.