Rough Country Winch Plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Country Winch Plate

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Rough Country Winch Plate

I'm looking at getting this for my new jeep.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-zj-...plate_1049.php

I know I've seen people on here say that they love theirs. Just a couple questions for those who have them.

1. Can I bolt any winch onto it? I have a Badlands 12000lb. I'm figuring at the most I'll have to drill new holes and that's it right?

2. Anyone have any issues with overheating? If it was my old jeep I wouldn't hesitate to put it on since in the 2 years I owned it, it only saw 210 twice. My new jeep with the 5.2 consistently runs at 210 but doesn't go over.

3. Is the d-ring add-on, just the D rings? I have plenty of d-rings but they're useless if the winch plate doesn't have the holes for them.

4. If the basic plate doesn't come with the holes for d-rings, can I install it and keep my factory Up Country hooks?

Unread 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

1. guessing about any winch will bolt in, the smaller the winch the less air you will block
2. does block some air, so you are likely going to run a little hotter, if you mount the control box out of the way that will help
3. drings, bolts/nuts, brackets... can't remember if the holes were predrilled, you would need to fab up some brackets if you didn't buy the kit
4. tow hooks go, but maybe with some ingenuity you could mount them up somehow, but you can drill into the plate and mount anything you want so it would be a lot of extra work trying to maintain the factory hooks/brackets
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i seem to remember reading/hearing somewhere that the winch plate is only rated for a 10k winch? i might be wrong though.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

No overheating with mine installed. I got the D-ring add on kit. Has pre-drilled holes for the brackets.

The winch plate uses the holes for the stock tow hook sandwich plates.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Thanks. The only thing stopping me is worrying about overheating. If I ran a cooler thermostat that should help out a little right?
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

I also run this winch plate and if your cooling system is working properly you have no need to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Kreeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.