Rough Country 4" Long Arm Suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rough Country 4" Long Arm Suspension

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Rough Country 4" Long Arm Suspension

I think this is the one I want to start saving for. I would love to hear from anyone who has this one installed with pros, cons, any feedback at all really. Thanks!

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_zj_4xla.html

Unread 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I don't have that exact one.... But I will give you my 2 cents on RC. Many have had luck, many hate it. It lives up to its name, it is rough country. I have the 4.5" system from about 6 years ago, I started changing all control arms after 3-4 yrs. mine was the threaded in the center of the arm style and the threads stripped out and the arms would move similar to a shock.

I think for that price you are much better off spending your money on ironrock offroad. They have a much more complete kit and its better quality. No matter what kit your choose, at that height your must have adjustable track bars front and rear. If they aren't in the kit, figure that into your pricing budget. The only RC parts left on my zj are the springs, and they are stiff, but I can live with them.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK

That link is the kit that, IMO, is 100x better and more complete, and higher quality. Again, many have had luck, some not so much. RC is a good for the $500 range lifts, but when you go any more than that range I feel your money is better spent elsewhere.

There are tons of lift threads on here....and it's more than just putting longer taller parts on and jump in and drive. I don't know your skill level, but you need to know about suspension geometry and how to correct it once you lift.

And it's a slippery slope, next you're gonna want bigger tires to fill up the space from the lift, which will need gears to get it back to feeling like normal. Then you're gonna try bigger obstacles and deeper holes, which needs more power. So you mod the motor, which then you're gonna have to upgrade the transmission to handle your new power...and on and on and on. Just remember its a lifestyle and you'll be fine. LoL
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

I have the IRO kit in the link above and it is top notch...as is their customer service. That being said, the RC kit includes rear long arms while the IRO does not. Even with adding adjustable track bars, the RC kit ends up being cheaper than going full long arm with IRO. I believe the RC kit requires you to cut off the body side brackets where the IRO can live with them. Something to think of if you need to return it to stock. I believe Newfie helped install one of the first RC kits and could give you better insight to its quality and how it has held up.
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I have it. Its awesome. Their lower end products seem to be sub-par. I heard they recently changed their bushings in a lot of the kits.
The bushings in the LA kit seem to be holding up. You can replace them with johnny joints too if you need.

SO.

The track bar is bull ****. Get a different one. (IRO) They give you a rear TB drop bracket. Again, just get a good adj. rear TB.
Dont buy the shocks. Save money and upgrade to bilsteins.
My upper front CA hit my Ypipe and I had to cut and re weld it. But ive heard others didnt have this issue.
There isnt a lot of space between the driveshaft and the rear upper CA. My muffler rubbed until I re did some exhaust plumbing.
You lose your rear sway bar so i recommended getting an Addco Front Sway.
Get good drill bits.
I had to re weld the flags on the flag nuts. THREAD IN THE BOLTS INTO THE FLAG NUTS ONCE BEFORE YOU PUT THE NUTS INTO THE UNIBODY. THEY WILL MOST LIKELY BREAK IF YOU DONT

This pertains to a 5.2.

Your 4.0 may have more more clearance for everything.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Darman
1995 ZJ 

i have the same kit. i got mine new unused cheaper so it made sense to buy it. i like it for the money. bought IRO rear track bar. my y pipe hit the pax upper control arm.

some problems with mine when i got it. one of my upper control arms wasnt threaded, TC skid is to short, some of the bolts (6-8) were the wrong size. mine kit is 2-3 years old so ive rebuilt all the flex joints. seems like a new material and is standing up much better. old ones were already worn out after 4 months or so. if they wear out again ill just buy johnny joints. if your staying at 4" you dont need extended brake lines. you could definitely go higher with this kit too.
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

both IRO and RC use crap joints. both are radius arm.
no difference really.
i would like to say the IRO was better quality, but the arms i have weren't even DOM tubing. they were some sort of pipe. (thick pipe, but not DOM)

RC for the money, you need to add track bars to that kit, then you are at the price of the critical path kit.
also the shocks you get with the RC kit won't work well with that kit. they will work, but won't maximize flex.

for the price, i'd do the long arm upgrade, and add coils/shocks/track bars from IRO.......... specifically 5.5" coils, bilstein shocks and adjustable track bars. and that will put you at like, 2k anyways.

that rc long arm kit is a good STARTER...... but you'll add to it later, to the cost of either the IRO complete kits or Claytons.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Darman
1995 ZJ 

the sway bar links make alot of noise going over bumps. they rattle alot. also the front track bar is to long. i had to take the jam nut off to get mine short enough and my axle still isnt centred perfect
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.