rod bearing replacement .ASAP PLEASE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rod bearing replacement .ASAP PLEASE

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
twistedgalant

rod bearing replacement .ASAP PLEASE

Well I figured out i had a rod bearing spun. I,ve got everything cleaned up and all new rod bearings in. I need torque specs for the rod cap bolts. All data says 15 lbs then 110 degrees. Measuring degrees with a rachet is a damn nightmare. Anyone replaced theres and what did you torque them to?

twistedgalant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You spun a bearing. How was the crankshaft? Mark the socket 110 degrees.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
twistedgalant

crankshaft is fine. I caught it before it f'd it up. I went over everything with emery cloth. Everything is together now and torqued to 15 lbs just gotta do the 110 degrees and i can finish it. This is temporary anyways just to get me throught the winter
Unread 12-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
cmonson

the 110 degrees is for the bolt stretch. This means YOU HAVE TO USE NEW BOLTS... Do NOT re-use the old bolts. They are intended to stretch once. I have seen people take their chances, and it works, but I just wouldn't unless you just have to get back on the road. If you can wait, I would order a new bolt.

saying that, you can pick up a circle template with degrees marked from any art supply store. From there you torque to spec, then put your template over and mark everything with a white marker. Turn it 110 degrees and all is good.

There are actually quite a few fasteners on todays cars with degree of rotations specs. I replaced the head gasket on my saab and it was the same thing. TQ to 25#, then 130 degrees or something weird.

Great job finding the issue before you toasted the engine. Did you hear it knocking?
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Bannonjr
1993 ZJ 

Ya...how'd you figure it? Good call by getting to it before it did more damage...

Red Jeep Club #151
Canadian Jeeps Club Member #25
Bannonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
twistedgalant

I heard it starting to knock and pulled it apart. checked all the conecting rods for play and it was the rod closest to the firewall. Snap-on is bringing me a torque wrench tomorrow with an angle finder in it so we will see how it goes
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
shashank
1999 WJ 

what engine and what model yr? How many miles were on this thing? Is there a chance that you can document this process or take pics to help others?
Quadra Drive
Vari Lok's Both Front and Rear
shashank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Bannonjr
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank View Post
what engine and what model yr? How many miles were on this thing? Is there a chance that you can document this process or take pics to help others?
I concur yo!

Red Jeep Club #151
Canadian Jeeps Club Member #25
Bannonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
twistedgalant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank View Post
I wouldve but I'm about done with everything. I went through and replaced all the rod bearings while I was there. New oil pan gasket and sump seal, Painted the oil pan and just cleaned a bunch of stuff. All I have left to do is finish torqueing the cap bolts and put the pan on. I'll let ya know theoutcome when everything is buttoned up.

Also its a 99 WJ limited 4.7 liter 139,000 miles.
Unread 12-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
cmonson

curious if you did this with the engine in the car?

How much did that snap on tq wrench set you back with the degree finder? I have wanted one for a while to add to my collection.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
crazydude2500
1993 ZJ 

what is 110 degrees on a bolt ??? any pictures to help me understand this haha im lost

green lifted 4.5 w/32's custom front bumper 5.2L
97 xj stock blue tow hooks F&R 4.0L
2004 dodge neon SRT-4
crazydude2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
twistedgalant

yes i did it with the engine in it. Only time I plan on pulling the engine is when I put my other one in. The torque wrench didnt cost me anything. lol. Im pretty tight with a few snap on guys in my area so they look out for me. Gonna let me borrow it for a day or so. I know it retails for about $500.00
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
twistedgalant

she runs awsome . Runs so quiet. Better than ever!
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude2500 View Post
what is 110 degrees on a bolt ??? any pictures to help me understand this haha im lost

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude2500 View Post
lol ok so for example of his rod caps, he had to torque it to 15 lbft. then after that the bolt as to be tightened another 110 degrees. they are torque-to-yield bolts that are for a one time use. most motors have them for rod caps, head bolts, etc. inside the motor. basically torquing it to 15 lbft tightens the bolt and then the 110 degrees stretches the bolt. thus it needing to be replaced after one use.

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.