Rocker panel rust repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rocker panel rust repair?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Rocker panel rust repair?

Is this repairable?

Passenger side is wasted..

Driver side, not too bad...

I was going to order rocker replacement panels from RockAuto.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...676&cc=1181977

Can I pretty much repair this damage with the replacement rocker panels, a welder and extra sheet metal without to much of a problem?

Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Look in my build thread or search this has been covered very well I cut out my rockers and welded in sliders I made to gain clearance

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Jerbear0612
1995 ZJ 

And I thought my rockers were bad!
Jerbear0612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
Look in my build thread or search this has been covered very well I cut out my rockers and welded in sliders I made to gain clearance
Ok I searched somebodys build thread and didn't have good info. I already have JCROffroad Rock Sliders, I knew mine where rough but didn't know the extent till I went to install the sliders.
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Wow, if my rockers looked that bad, I'd be taking a really close look at the rest of my Jeep.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Rest of the jeep is good. I think its just the michigan salt gets behind the plastic never comes out and just destroys the metal.

I ordered the rocker replacement panels and will try and take a few pics when I do the repair.
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

Keep us posted. I have a Michigan zj and I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace em.
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

There's no way the rest of the jeep is good. Take a hard look at your suspension mounting points.

Investing in a welder and practicing fab on the rockers is a great idea. Because you'll be prepared for when somebody's foot goes thru the floor or a suspension mounting point pulls free.

And all that stuff is patchable/fixable if you got the time. It may not look pretty but will delay the junkman a few years.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

I've already replaced the suspension all the way around and completely in the front. Its not bad on rust. I really think salt gets caught in there and just rusts it to hell.

My replacement rockers came today. My buddy has a plasma cutter and a weld just not sure when I can get to use yet. I'll take pics when I do and post em.
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

I live in Michigan too and mine is the same. Rockers are rusted and the rest of the under side looks good. I also went through the suspension as well. It also has a little rust on the lift gate like all the other 10 year old suv's in michigan.
Good luck!
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Got a chance to do some work. I'm at a crossroads and need advice.

This is the bad side cut back.

Now I have the replacement rocker panels and would need a 'L' bracket to be welded behind it to replace the missing metal.

Or...

I could do more like what biggoofy did (I think), push it up tight and and close to the floor.

I really like the uptight look, better clearance and lifted look. My thought was, it could be up too high, and now if I go over a fallen log instead of the rails sliding on the log, my exhaust will hit be the lowest point and take increased damage on the trails.

Here are both shots underneath showing sliders in both positions. Do you see a problem with going up tight? Notice the exposed exhaust, possibly more hard to see with the jack in the way. Skid plates are not out of the question if thats the best way to run it.

Unread 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Bring the sliders up and never look back!

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Also in mi an rockers were the only rust on the jeep fixed now before it could get to the floor and got jcr stage 3s on it
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Ya these are JCR stage 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.