Roaring front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Roaring front end

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
vworley

Roaring front end

Well, I've got a roaring sound coming out of the front end. I've just finished replacing both CV joints, bearing hubs, rotors and pads. Still have the roar. It seems to clearly be "timed" with the wheel rotation, but I'm fairly sure it's not the tires. Any ideas? Could the gear box be low on oil or something similar.

Not a mechanic, but learning...

vworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
99avant

Does the noise change or go away when you are on or off the throttle? You may have a differential issue.
Check the fluid for correct level and make sure there is nothing foreign in there (water, metal flakes)
There are a few bearings in there that go bad with time and poor fluid maintenance.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
vworley

It does seem to change with throttle. How can I check the fluid level?
vworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
99avant

There is a plug on the front cover, take it off. The fluid should be about to the level of the bottom of that hole.

If I were you I would drain it, inspect the fluid and fill it back up. Should be a pretty simple operation for you since you have done that other work. There are multiple write up threads around here if you want specifics on the process.

Another possibility is your front drive shaft. What are the specifics on your jeep? (fill out your profile so we can help you easier)

If your driveshaft looks like this:

That may be the issue. The rubber boots at the ends crack and the grease leaks out.

The driveshaft and a bearing in my front diff were causing a noise similar to what you are hearing.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.