Roadtrip gone bad.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Roadtrip gone bad..

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 09-09-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

Roadtrip gone bad..

So here's the story:

On labor day weekend, my friends and I went from Orange County up to Mammoth for some fishing. Anywho, on the drive up, my 95 GC started to shake violently as if a tire blew out. So I pulled over, and checked but nothing was wrong. I just assumed it was a loose sway bar or something. Nothing major, so i just kept driving until my car started to slow down. <-- very dangerous in the number one lane but yah, so i pulled over again, to here a very nasty grinding noise at about 30 mph. I pull of the highway, and go into a garage. I look under the Jeep and to my suprise my front drive shaft was bust, which was leakin some sort of oil which in turn led to some smoke. Since i don't carry a spare drive shaft , i asked the mechanic how much it would cost. he gave me an estimate of 5 bills !!! so after some talk w/ the friends i settled and i told him to do it. Now i thought it was gonna take a few hours, but i ended up stayiing 12 hours!! err.. i didn't, i left the garage after 12 hours. i lowered my own car off the lift and told him to give me my parts back because the guy was freakin beatin the sh*t out of the "new" driveshaft. so i left w/ no front drive shaft. And so now my car is a RWD jeep... but yah, due to my lack of dinero, i took the jeep to the parents.. hehe.. so they could fix it for me. but they have yet to receive the jeep back and it's been over a week. so now i'm thinkin i should just do it myself, which i can, but im not sure how much a new driveshaft assembly is gonna cost me.

Soo...
If somebody could get me an estimate of how much a NEW front driveshaft would cost me that would be SUPER!

oh and one more thing, the jeep continues to roll back even when i put it into park, im thinking it's because im missing my shaft.. but maybe its not..

ok, thanks in advance to those who respond..

Green Jeep Club Member # 32
EYPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2003, 04:34 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Look at the pop up adds at teh top of the page and click on the one that says Tom Woods custom drive shafts. I would estimate at the most 250$.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
MichiganK9SAR
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you have quadra-trac, that would explain why your Jeep still moves while in park (full time 4 wheel drive).

Just use the parking brake. Of course, you already do that, don't you? (it's sop).
MichiganK9SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #4
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

well i just got the jeep back from the garage. and the bill came out to about 300. so i guess it wasn't that bad. but as soon as i got in, i noticed that when i brake or release the brake i feel a slight nudge, as if something was loose or someone gave me a love tap from behind. and to add to that, my car continues to whine at all speeeds and gets loudest at 45 to 50. bah, and the nerve of the guy tells me that i broke it from towing some guy last year! bah.. never going to that guy again. but i want to get rid of the whining.. anyone?

Green Jeep Club Member # 32
EYPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.