Road worthy steering setup w/ 5-6" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Road worthy steering setup w/ 5-6" lift

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Road worthy steering setup w/ 5-6" lift

I am sitting at 3.5" lift on my 97 ZJ, this is my daily driver but I DEFINATELY wheel it when I get the chance. I will be installing a 5.5-6" long arm kit before too long and I will need to eliminate the inverted y-link setup thats on it, it just doesnt seem safe at all. My only problem is I cant seem to find an otk kit that doesnt use heim joints. I'd love to find a setup that still uses tre's. anyone have ideas on if I could custom make something or swap knuckles or what would be the safest most effective way to make steering at 6" of lift safe?

Unread 08-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Jcr............
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6

the inverted y set up is good up to 6". you can even make it highsteer.
http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=306
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I like the idea of the 1ton setup, having the Y link just scares me because of the higher angles of the drag link. I think if I ran any more lift when I droop the passenger side it will stress the TRE at the pitman arm. am I worrying over nothing or is this a good concern?
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliver09 View Post
I like the idea of the 1ton setup, having the Y link just scares me because of the higher angles of the drag link. I think if I ran any more lift when I droop the passenger side it will stress the TRE at the pitman arm. am I worrying over nothing or is this a good concern?
no, thats a true concern. if you plan to have a bunch of flex and dont want heims the OTK JCR steering is your set up. you will also need to swap to a double shear track bar. if you run a set up with a lower bracket like IROs conversion you can also run a DPA which will help with steering angles.
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Or get the same tie rod flip insert for 18 bucks instead of 30:

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Jcr............
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6

the inverted y set up is good up to 6". you can even make it highsteer.
http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=306

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

thank you kindly sir
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

i had a hi-steer set up from down east offroad on my ZJ. It used WJ knuckles, and they were connected to a tie rod. The tie rod had a hole in it on the driver side, that the drag link connected to, so it didn't have the toe changes and issues that the y link set up has. Just like the JCR set up above. But since it used WJ knuckles, i had to raise the track bar mount on the axle as well, since the new location of the drag link was much higher than the old location with the stock ZJ spindles. It drove great at 5" of lift.

G-
LSRGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRGreg View Post
i had a hi-steer set up from down east offroad on my ZJ. It used WJ knuckles, and they were connected to a tie rod. The tie rod had a hole in it on the driver side, that the drag link connected to, so it didn't have the toe changes and issues that the y link set up has. Just like the JCR set up above. But since it used WJ knuckles, i had to raise the track bar mount on the axle as well, since the new location of the drag link was much higher than the old location with the stock ZJ spindles. It drove great at 5" of lift.

G-
I did think about a WJ knuckle swap but didnt know much about it. Thanks for providing another option!
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

I don't think down east offroad is around anymore.. so probably not much help. I know there was some special spacers that had to be used, along with chevy S-10 brake calipers etc... so it wasn't cheap.

Here is the set up i did on my WJ i have right now..

track bar mount from TNT customs, flipped the drag link on top of knuckle mount with 1 ton chevy ends that have tons of angle for major droop, and left the factory tie rod (just replaced shaft with Kevin's HD). I will be flipping the tie rod as well.
LSRGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
sandman
1993 ZJ 

the problem is that WJs have a different bolt pattern so you need to weld on spacers and drill out the rotors. trucks did it to their 5 grand cherokee project.

teraflex has a highsteer that replaces the knuckle, you can buy just the knuckle too
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/high-steer-system.html

KOR also has a good kit.
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/steeringupgrades.html
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
sandman
1993 ZJ 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809662

^^ read this thread. ^^

just tossing another idea out there for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.