Road trip, vehicle to do's and already done's. Anything else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Road trip, vehicle to do's and already done's. Anything else?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Bored sitting at work and going through the list in my head. We are going on a long off road trip in a couple weeks. Trying to make sure everything is tip top.

Done / checked:
Front and rear diffs checked, fluid changed
Alignment
tires and spare balanced, good to go
Coolant system good
Ac topped off
Brake hardware good
Wipers
Lights
New battery
Air filter cleaned
Steering fluid topped off
Transmission serviced
Plugs

To do:
T case fluid
Oil change
Lube front end
Fix small exhaust leak
New harmonic balancer install (got a little wobble on the pulley)
Brake fluid flush? I have no idea how old it is.

What am I missing?

Help: Rear left lock doesn't lock using power locks, but will unlock. Any ideas?

-Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.
unabashedpraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

You're pretty well covered, I'd say clean your TB if you want and check your serpentine belt. Pretty sure the two most common causes of breakdowns are overheating (which you have covered) and belt failure.
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I agree on the belt. Buy a spare belt and carry it inside your spare tire cover. If money isnt a real issue, get spare radiator hoses and store them under the rear seats. (right beside your towing strap and hand winch)...they fit under there nicely. A cheap, autozone spare TPS doesnt hurt either. Tire pump ?
Duct tape, eectrical tape wire, and God's gift to mankind- 50 feet of 550 paracord. Add windshield washer fluid, gloves and a short 2X4. Dont forget your pocket knife in case that stupid serpentine belt gets all wrapped up in there when it breaks.

Or...leave that all that stuff at home and carry $2500 cash ....and a pistol.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

in my experience rubber parts are only reliable for about 10 years. I've had a number of radiator or heater hoses fail at 11, 12, and 13 years. If your belts and hoses have not been replaced already, replace them all. Don't forget the heater hoses, they're as likely to fail as the two radiator hoses.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

All good stuff. I have everything so far except the hoses, forgot about those. I have no idea how old they are, but I was thinking of replacing them. I flushed my rad three weeks ago and now I have a small leak somewhere.

Help: Rear left lock doesn't lock using power locks, but will unlock. Any ideas?

Unread 07-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Oil change question/opinion.

Since I'm going on this trip I need to change my oil before I go. I usually use castrol gtx, but right now I have three options:
1- free conventional oil change @ tires plus
2- $18 certificate at jiffy lube towards any service
3- I already have a new filter lying around, just need oil.

Opinions?

Unread 07-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

I generally don't trust other people to work on my vehicles, ESPECIALLY Tires Plus. If you absolutely need someone to work on your car, find a independently owned local shop with good reviews on yelp. It is really, really beneficial to establish a relationship with reputable people... Even if that means spending $50 on an oil change.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

If you really want to go to a jiffylube type place go to valvoline. I've worked for them and their techs are pretty well trained. But I'd always say do it yourself. You'll spend less money for better oil and castrol gtx is fine, even better if it's high mileage. Thats what I used before I switched to rotela T6. And find that leak, you don't want that trickle of coolant turning into a sizeable leak while your on the road and away from home. If it's from a rad hose it can get a lot worse very quickly (has happened to me).
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

I totally get what you guys are saying, I'm just hung up on the free part...

Unread 07-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Went with Mobil 1 hm with Mobil filter for $33 at advance auto.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.