Ring gear needs a dentist, few quick questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ring gear needs a dentist, few quick questions

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Iamlew

Ring gear needs a dentist, few quick questions

So I pulled the diff cover off my 93 zj, and the ring gear had 4 teeth gone, I pulled it out and everything (all 12 bolts came off finger tight). I just bought it too =p

Anyways can't find the gear anywhere only the reverse cut gear. or 3.73's =\

What do I need to put in the reverse cut gear? can I just use the ring, pinion and carrier or is it more work than I think? (50 bucks for ring, pinion, and carrier).

I can find tons of the reverse cut ones, but haven't come a cross a single stock one yet.

I'd buy a new one but cheapest I found was 189, plus shipping and tax. Trying to keep it cheap till I'm out of school =)

Any Ideas?

Iamlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Reverse cut is high pinion, so that wont work for you. Standard cut is low pinion.

Contact the vendor CCOR, or classiccityoffroad.com. They will send you the right stuff. They are seriously the cheapest place you can find yukon stuff. They drop ship their stuff right from randy's R&P, but a fraction of the cost.

Sorry to break it to you, but doing gears is complicated. Experience and special tools are required.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Experience and special tools are required.
What is this experience you speak of? We didn't have any when we did your dana 30, and it turned out fine
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

haha. true, but we still knew what we were doing!

So how's your gear swap going?

Are you glad you didnt go with CCOR, or has genuine gear made multiple mistakes with your order?

hehehe
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Iamlew

Yeah I know my gfs dad said he can do it, called around shops want 150-250 =\ just labor. If he can't do it I'll swap the front end out cheap and easier lol
Iamlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Well if you end up just swapping complete axles, look for a HP30 instead of the LP30. I'm pretty sure they bolt right in to the ZJ's and they're stronger. You should be able to find one with 3.55's at your local junk-yard or car-parts.com.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.