Right side rotor extremly hot, new jeep owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Right side rotor extremly hot, new jeep owner

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
KristopherM

Right side rotor extremly hot, new jeep owner

To start off this is a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo with 118k miles

Ive had this jeep for only 3 weeks and the only problem that we ran into since buying is the front rotors where warped. so saturday afternoon i went and bought new rotors and pads and got them changed out. from saturday till tuesday i have put about 200 miles on it and a few trips down the interstate about 80 mph and had no problems. now today on the way home i noticed a burning smell, so i stopped to check the problem. driver side rotor and brake caliper seemed fine and where not any hotter then usual, but the passenger side seemed extremly hot i splashed a small amout of water ( a couple droppes) and they steamed and sizzled. they definatly could not be touched for any period of time.

After getting it home and taking the wheel off the rotor was not turnable by hand. seemed like the caliper was not releasing the brake pads. i havent checked the driver side but it seemed like it was ok. passenger side definatly smelled burnt almost as if it had been on fire.

Definatly love my jeep, but could realy use some help on this problem

NOTE: truck has the older teves brake pads and calipers.
thanks for any help.

KristopherM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Get the Akebonos... Your caliper sounds like the piston is not returning into the bore correctly and needs to be replaced.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
jlupien502

Caliper piston is definitely getting hung up. A new caliper is in your near future. This is probably the reason the rotors were warped in the first place.
Maybe the dealer will fix it under warranty??
jlupien502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Definately the calipers, find some akebono's from a junk yard (don't forget the mounting brackets too).
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
KristopherM

thx guys, ill def look into upgrading these calipers first thing in the morning.
KristopherM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
mikeheverly
1983 CJ7 

OR, and I'm just talking from limited experience working at an autoparts store here....could he not just buy the caliper kit? Be a much cheaper way to start out. Unless they don't have one for this year-but it'd be worth a try. Basically a rebuild kit for the caliper without having to buy the whole thing. Worth a try...
mikeheverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
jlupien502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheverly View Post
OR, and I'm just talking from limited experience working at an autoparts store here....could he not just buy the caliper kit? Be a much cheaper way to start out. Unless they don't have one for this year-but it'd be worth a try. Basically a rebuild kit for the caliper without having to buy the whole thing. Worth a try...
Not if he's a novice mechanic (not saying he is... I don't know). It would be much easier for him to just replace a caliper than to remove the caliper and rebuild it. Especially when you get get a reman caliper from rockauto for about $65
jlupien502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Definitely sounds like the calipers are dragging. But get some new calipers. The older Jeeps (Before 02) rand Teves calipers that warped the rotors like no other. The put Akebones in to fix the issue. Some more reading is available on wjjeeps.com
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
simidrm

One thing you might think off and it happens alot is the rubber brake line at the front wheel can collaspe and the high pressure of applying brakes will force past this but will not let caliper release,and can happen as brake fluid heats up and cannot get back out of caliper the pressure will cause the caliper to apply pressure to rotor as the fluid can not get out of the hose,a good way to check this drive it then check wheel if you cannot turn wheel crack open the bleeder screw and see if wheel releases if it does you have a bad brake line(rubber one) if you cannot turn it after bleeder screw then caliper is probably just gone or they were not cleaned and lubricated the slides so they can release properly I my self use never sieze on the slides ,check the hose before you replace the caliper I have 140k+ miles on my wj and have replace the hoses on the last brake job,new rotors pads all the way around my wife thinks she can drive 90 to the stop sign and stop in 10 feet and wonders why her brakes are always acting up,then they get glazed from excess heat and the rotors warp and another brake job but next time I am getting the expensive ceramic pads will help keep heat down cause after 22 yrs of marriage she still drive like that
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.