Right Rear door won't catch...Wont stay closed!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Right Rear door won't catch...Wont stay closed!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Starrman

Right Rear door won't catch...Wont stay closed!!!

Just happened tonight.....ran by the house to pick up some clothes (powers been out since Thursday nights ice storm) and when putting some stuff in the back seat the door just bounces back open when trying to close it. I checked out the latch mechanism on the edge of the door and it looks like it operates correctly but it doesnt stay "in" when pushed. I'm hoping that something's just frozen inside the mechanism and not broke.

Anyone have a similar problem, and what was it?

Unread 12-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
hinchcliffe

Had the same issue in my BMW when it gets below 20, I sprayed some White Lithium Grease all over the latch mechanism, seemed to cure it.
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

what you want to do is start it up with the heat on high. Let it sit with the door closed for like 15-20 mins. when you come back out it should latch. then spray everything down with lithium grease or penetrating oil. while your at it spray down the rubber door seal that goes around your door. I drove to work one day when my door wouldnt latch. it was funny holding the damn thing shut trying to keep the interior light from flickering.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
S_L_W

I had the same problem(same door even) the other day when it got cold, i'll have to try the suggestions you guys gave.
S_L_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

well spray the door gasket with pam or wd40 not lithium grease.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Starrman

After sitting in the sun today it works fine. Something must've been frozen stuck but I had just driven about 30mins and it was nice and warm inside, so I figured that wasn't the case and something was broke.

The funny thing is, it's been working fine since the ice storm Thursday and just did this Sunday night. I think what happened was that it sat out in the sun all day and a lot of the ice on the roof melted and ran down then re-froze after it got dark
Unread 12-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
TheAngus
1998 ZJ 

my right rear door on my 93 started doing that recently, i just smash it shut, always worked for me
1998 ZJ Limited 5.9L l Vortech Supercharged l SCT, 42lb Bosch, 255lph l Kolak 3" Exhaust w/ E-Cutout l KOR TB Conversion l Addco Swaybars F/R l JKS Rear TB l ORO U-Turn Steering w/ OME stabilizer l RE 4.5" Springs and Monotube Shocks l IRO Rear CAs l Kolak Ignition l Clayton Fronts l

http://www.siliconeintakes.com
TheAngus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
01ACRViper

if you take the latch mechanism out, you can see if the springs inside have fallen out of the track. some careful realigning and holding things together while screwing it all together is all the skill it takes to fix that little annoyance.
01ACRViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

mine does the same thing.... the fix... it's easy

First dont lock the door. Next push the door shut, then push the outside button.

It should have latched then.

mine only does it when it get cold.
some times when i lock the doors first it wont latch . unlocking the door will sometimes work by itself. But usually I have to hold the door shut ,then push the outside button that opens the door.
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.