Right front suspension banging and knocking...control arms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Right front suspension banging and knocking...control arms?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Right front suspension banging and knocking...control arms?

Its been an issue since I got the Jeep almost 5 years ago, but now with the new OME springs and ProComp shocks, its worse. When on the rocky/bumpy trails, theres a banging and knocking at the right front corner. It sounds like something is broken and slopping around, I can even sometimes hear an echo in the spring-- but its been inspected a bazillion times and nothing is broken or loose or missing. Driving on the smooth road there are no issues and it handles great, just the noises when on bumps. I suspect possibly the 160k+ mile factory control arm bushings are worn and slopping around? Any advice would be great before I start throwing money at parts. Thanks!

ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
Its been an issue since I got the Jeep almost 5 years ago, but now with the new OME springs and ProComp shocks, its worse. When on the rocky/bumpy trails, theres a banging and knocking at the right front corner. It sounds like something is broken and slopping around, I can even sometimes hear an echo in the spring-- but its been inspected a bazillion times and nothing is broken or loose or missing. Driving on the smooth road there are no issues and it handles great, just the noises when on bumps. I suspect possibly the 160k+ mile factory control arm bushings are worn and slopping around? Any advice would be great before I start throwing money at parts. Thanks!
If the control arms have never been serviced that is 100% a problem if not the problem.
Other things it could be are motor mounts and transmission mounts. They should be replaced at the same time.
Swaybar endlinks like to clunk when they go bad. The sway bar bushings should be looked at too.
Your battery isn't bouncing around in there is it?

Here are mine at 127. The center isn't even attached. Just sitting in there. My motor mounts were that bad or worse too. Especially on the drivers side.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Yes, I'm sure it could use engine and trans mounts, those are just as old as everything else. But the clunking and banging is definately in the suspension. I'm gonna order new bushings for the sway bar end links, a new steering damper, and I think I'm gonna do all 4 front control arms. The replacement on these looks pretty straight-forward, made easier with a good impact gun. While Im in there I should replace both front CV axles too.
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

That pic is of your control arm bushing, correct?
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yes that is the control arm bushing. Don't replace the axles unless the boots are torn. They are still good if the boots are intact. Do one arm at a time and mark the cam bolts with a marker so you can put them back at the same angle. I did all the lowers at one time then the uppers later. The uppers do not see near the amount of stress as the lowers. It made a night and day difference in the way it handled and felt.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
That pic is of your control arm bushing, correct?
My experience

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...-like-1027823/
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Unfortunately for me, the CV boots are torn. Bofadem. Also have the obnoxious clicking when turning. They need to be replaced.

Newfie, thanks for the link. Great info and pretty much confirms my suspension suspicions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.