Rhino Liner for ZJ Cladding - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rhino Liner for ZJ Cladding

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #46
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh, and my apologizes for the multiple posts. If there is a way to post more than three pictures (without hosting them somewhere else), I'm too big a noob to know it.

Unread 07-15-2005, 07:42 AM   #47
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Vette that looks great. Excellent Job. When my cladding starts to really fade I will do the same, although I don't know whether I'll leave my cladding on or off just yet.

WALTER
Unread 07-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #48
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thx. BTW, your avatar pic sealed the deal when I was thinking about my screen name...
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #49
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Glad I could help.

WALTER
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #50
theone13

I really like the look of that. I like the look of the little posts still being there. It looks like some of the armor I've seen for XJ's.

'95 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 : Stolen

kevinsoffroad.com
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #51
MidniteSquirrel

I almost like the look of the Duplicolor Bed Liner stuff better... looks good and stuff, but doesn't look as rough as the Herculiner.

Then again, I suppose I'm one of the few that wants the added protection without the look of a bedliner on the sides of my Jeep

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
MidniteSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #52
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments.

It's definitely a preference thing. FWIW, if you are going to do it on the cladding, I'd recommend the spray like theone13 did...it's a nice texture effect. But if you pull the plastic, I'd recommend the bedliner roll if nothing else to protect the body. It won't stop dents, but at least it keeps the bottom half protected from scrapes and such.

Admittedly it isn't for everyone, but either way it's a simple and fun weekend project. And besides, for those of us with WHITE ZJ Laredos, it looks AWESOME!
Unread 07-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #53
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I think it will look good on my white WJ laredo too.

I think Ill pull the cladding, spray it with duplicolor, so there are no over spray worries and I want to clean underneath the cladding and check for rust. Years later if that starts to look bad, I may just pull all of the cladding and bedline the doors and get aftermarket bumbers.

One weekend soon it will get done when I feel like pulling the cladding and getting dirty.

WALTER
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #54
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

One thing though - if you pull the cladding and want to put it back on, you may want to check around on the best way to remove the rear door piece. If you look at my pictures, there is some sort of washer/bolt that snapped off on mine. I don't know if there is a screw or something on the inner door part, but it doesn't pull off exactly like the front piece.

It's the black circle in the first set of pictures.
Unread 07-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #55
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I'll research it fully before I do anything, and if I screw it up, I'll just coat the doors w/o cladding. Its going to look much better either way when compared to faded gray cladding.

WALTER
Unread 07-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #56
MidniteSquirrel

I know with the front fascia and the rear bumper, they've both got these plastic rivets that are helping to hold them on. So if I rip them off, I'll have to go out and find more of them to replace them.

Maybe that's what the lil black circle is?

In the end, it looks like it'll be way too much trouble to get the cladding off. Suppose proper prepping and taping will have to do the trick.

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
MidniteSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2005, 01:22 PM   #57
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteSquirrel
I know with the front fascia and the rear bumper, they've both got these plastic rivets that are helping to hold them on. So if I rip them off, I'll have to go out and find more of them to replace them.

Maybe that's what the lil black circle is?

In the end, it looks like it'll be way too much trouble to get the cladding off. Suppose proper prepping and taping will have to do the trick.
The plastic rivets you mention can be reused - you pull out the center piece, and it collapses the other side, and then you can just pull them out. But they are different than the one I'm talking about.

This piece I'm talking about is a full screw and washer. I just went and checked though, and if you open the rear door, you'll see the capnut you need to remove, completely exposed. If I had been paying attention, I could have unscrewed it before I pulled them off no problem.

Honestly, now having done it, I can tell you it's cake to take off the cladding. A few screws front, rear, and inside the back doors, pulling up and out from the bottom, and then sliding the brackets back and up. If the brackets break, it's an easy replacement, part #5529 4777.
Unread 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #58
ZJ_COWBOY
1994 ZJ 

Heres my ZJ with painted cladding. Its the sprayon stuff. If I hit rocks or trees hard it will scrape off. Bawls is just an energy drink. I like the paint, It covered the rust pretty good.

Before:

After:

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
ZJ_COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #59
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I think this may deserve to become stickyed.

WALTER
Unread 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #60
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_da_jpr
I think this may deserve to become stickyed.

WALTER

except we have no moderators!!
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.