i'm interested in doing the cladding in the liner stuff, but i also have had doing the interior floor in it too, like they do with the wranglers, anybody thought of that? like rip up all the carpet and then do it?
I emailed duplicolor again to ask about the lining on the plastic and the response was still it should not be done. Only this time they gave me a reason being that "This product contains strong solvents, which would more than likely dissolve the plastic"
I did my Dakota about 3 years ago with Herculiner. I wanted a rougher textured surface...experimented with several rollers until I found one that I was happy with. Lots of prep work involved, but the results have been good...no chipping or flaking, no worries about road tar, sticks, rocks, etc. It has held up well.
The only negative that I had with it was that about a month after I had applied it, it had lost pretty much all of its shine...I didn't want it to be bling-bling, but I did want a little bit of a gloss to it. I ended up spraying semi-gloss black over the top of the herculiner...that did the trick! I had the texture that I wanted and the gloss that I wanted. Plus if the paint chips off, it's easy to buy anywhere and re-spray.
sorry if you answered this on another page, but did you do it yourself?
Thanks! Yeah, I did it myself. Like I said, there was LOTS of prep work. Prepping the paint was just part of it...just had to take a sander to the paint to get the surface scuffed enough for the herculiner to stick. Just to hedge my bet, I scuffed the plastic on the lower rear bumpers where the herculiner was going, then put on a coat of stuff that's supposed to help paint stick...I think it was Bulldog or something like that. Then there was the chrome that I had to scuff up and prep for the paint, both plastic chrome on the grille and metal chrome on the bumpers. So it took about 8 hours for me, but I took my time, was painting some parts (chrome on the grille and bumpers) and herculining others (lower body, fender flares, and the lower plastic parts on the bumpers. It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it...it changed the whole look of the truck (used to be two-tone green over champagne with silver painted wheels). I'm really happy with it. Easy to keep clean...I just use a soft brush when washing, and I don't dry the herculiner portions because it picks up lint from the towel & chamois.
So here I go and take a bunch o' pictures, and Soldier Guy beats me to it!
I did the roll-on Herculiner thing yesterday after getting inspired by this thread - it's been sitting in my garage for months. But I removed the cladding and did it on the metal instead. Here's the four post process:
First, I removed the cladding on each side. It's easy enough. Unscrew the end caps in the wheel wells, and then for the door pieces, pull out and up from the bottom to pop them off. Once off, you can push the bottom of the clamps forward and then up to remove.
Just note that not all the clamps came easy - some broke off where they connect to the posts on the sheetmetal. And the rear door has some sort of other attachment I didn't know about which broke off.
Wuth the cladding off, I had to clean up the whole thing, remove all the clamps, and prep the surface. Pretty easy to do - you wash and dry it, rub it down with Xylenol, and then scuff it. I did both the metal and the plastic. No serious sanding here - the box included a green scouring pad to rough up the surface. I then just masked off the area I wanted to cover, and prepared to coat.
Note that I did have some rust and body damage under the plastic. I cleaned up the rust spots, but didn't worry about the creases, figuring that the liner would fill it in.
Now the first coat goes on. First thing I did was use a 2" brush to do the corners and edges and stuff. You don't paint it on, but just sort of dab it on the surface. Eventually, I did the entire side.
I also started to panic a bit, because frankly, it looked like crap. But is was just teh first coat, which the instructions said would be the primer layer. With this down and racky, I actually rolled down the first full layer.
Even though you can't see it in the pictures, I had a drop cloth over the tires and nerf bar. This stuff is impossible to get out.
After the first coat goes on, let it dry (about 2-3 hours, and put on the second coat. I did two extra coats (3 total) and really like the look. It has a lot of texture and substance to it. The pictures don't show it, but it is at least a 1/4 thick.
I ALMOST sanded down the posts, but decided to leave them in and just coated over them. My thinking was that if I ever did want to put the cladding back on, I would need them there. If I did it again, I would remove them first, but I guess it looks decent with them on, in an "industrial" sort of way. Plus, the liner fills in around them nicely by the second coat, so they are really just nuibs now, and nothing is going to catch on them.
I also included a shot of the rear bumper so you can see the difference. I didn't do the front or rear covers because those are coming off and getting replaced with Kevin's stuff...as soon as he ships them to me...
Overall, I love the look. I also didn't have to worry about overspray like the spray on guys, but this was a bit more work. Either option looks like a decent one; just depends on your preference.