Rhino Liner for ZJ Cladding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rhino Liner for ZJ Cladding

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
mr_user

Rhino Liner for ZJ Cladding

Hey all,

I think my next mod is going to be Rhino-Lining (or something along the lines) all the cladding. I believe it was ArloGuthroJeep that had the liner on, however I am not sure.

I am working as a painter all summer so I have quite a bit of experience with it, and would love to attack the job myself.

1) What materials do you suggest, as far as primer and actual liner?

2) Could I get away with taping off around the cladding, and painting while on the Jeep?

I'd like to get it as dark, durable. and rugged as possible, just because I love the look of a well done bedliner on a pick up, and I am tired of scratching these flimsy cladding pieces every time I rub something.

Thanks!

Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
KWAG

Just take the cladding off i think this would provide the best results!
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Nah, wasn't me...its the guy from omen(oman?) that rhino lined...you just thought it was me because I am a post whore.

-Ryan
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

My concern is that the liner material is rather rigid, while the cladding is flexible. This will probably result in cracking in the liner, followed by chunks falling out.

HTH
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
mr_user

Warren, that's a good point.

However, I think that the benefits from having the liner on justify the need to maybe re-coat it once a year or so.

Matt

Unread 07-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
KWAG

Someone on the board with a blue wj has done it and it looks great!
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
askoop
2000 WJ 

Cunninglinguist did his that way... and was the person who inspired, in part, me to spray mine with duplicolor bed liner. I like it a lot. If I had it to do over again, I would have taken off the cladding to do it though. I had to replace my front bumper cover, so I sprayed that while it was off and I think it turned out better than the rest of it.

I've only had a few small chips come off. The worst part is the rear bumper where the black plastic "grip" piece sits on top of the bumper, just under the lift gate. I wish I would have taken the rear bumper off and then taken that piece off, sprayed everything but that piece, and then put it back on, leaving it with no bedliner.

If you leave the cladding on to spray it, and you just mask off the rest of the Jeep, make sure you score the bedliner from the masking tape before you attempt to pull the tape off. I learned that the hard way...

Ill see if I can post some pics soon
WTB: 1 Timberline wheel or a set of JK steelies
askoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
JdawgZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by k69camaroz28
Someone on the board with a blue wj has done it and it looks great!
ok its bout time someone posts pics of these painted claddings!!
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][URL=http://myspace-196.vo.llnwd.net/00212/69/11/212361196_l.jpg][COLOR=navy][B][SIZE=3]Me[/SIZE][/B][/color][/URL] (updated 9/05/05 lol)
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club member #256[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
JdawgZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by askoop
If you leave the cladding on to spray it, and you just mask off the rest of the Jeep, make sure you score the bedliner from the masking tape before you attempt to pull the tape off. I learned that the hard way...

Ill see if I can post some pics soon
Just pull the tape off as soon as you're done spraying while it's still wet. Just be carefull not to touch the wet bed liner.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
askoop
2000 WJ 

Alright, here are some pics of mine. First is the bumper before it went on, after it was sprayed with duplicolor bed liner, and with the wire mesh inserts I put in the bottom slots.

Before

After
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
mr_user

That looks really good man, nice job.

How many coats did you spray? I was quoted 400 to get the whole truck done professionally, but I think that is too much. After calling around I was advised against doing it myself for the reason that professionally the coat of liner will be about 1/4" thicker than the spray stuff one buys at an auto store such as the picture above.

What besides Duplicolor bedliner could I use for the job? I like how that came out a lot, but I would like to get it a bit more rough so it looks like an actual bedliner and not some sort of paint...If that is possible.

Thanks!
Matt

Unread 07-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
askoop
2000 WJ 

The easiest way to get it "rougher" looking is to do more light coats. I did one "normal" coat and then a real light one over it. Cunninglinguist recommended Krylon tread and grip, but I could not find it locally, so I went with the bedliner.
Its not super thick on there, but it has stood up to trees and bushes really well. It is a little hard to keep clean, but so was the cladding, not a big deal. Dust is very noticable on it too.

let me know if you have more questions, and I know there are other people who have done the same as mine, so maybe they can chime in with some other tips.
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
FatAlbert
1999 WJ 

Looks great askoop.

Do you have a picture of the whole Jeep with it all painted on?
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
Jeepguy1986

Herculiner .. the guy on the Spike TV show 'Trucks' did a segment on it. Alot of guys from my local boards use it on there YJ/CJ tubs. Its way more kick-arse than spray on stuff. Herculiner is ROLLED on with a ROLLER, NOT a SPRAY. Its much thicker and much more durable. I would reccomend it over any other DIY bed-liner stuff.

http://www.herculiner.com/index.html

O ya, I havent actually used this stuff myself, but i plan on it after i cut my fenders. Ill also be taking off the cladding and using it there. Im sick of the cladding, the piece on my pass front door always comes off when i kick the Jeep outa frustration .. stupid plastic barckets .. it also has that homo-erotic gold stripe
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
JdawgZJ

take a pic from farther out
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][URL=http://myspace-196.vo.llnwd.net/00212/69/11/212361196_l.jpg][COLOR=navy][B][SIZE=3]Me[/SIZE][/B][/color][/URL] (updated 9/05/05 lol)
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club member #256[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
JdawgZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.