Results of my Jeeps' trip to Florida!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Results of my Jeeps' trip to Florida!!!

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 03-08-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Results of my Jeeps' trip to Florida!!!

Well my family took a trip down to florida during this winter break and decided to take my Jeep, which i hesitated to give to them, considering that it already had 100,000 miles on it, but i had to.

My father told me that the Jeep performed well throughout the whole trip and had no complaints, but he recommended that i change the oil. So i took my Jeep to the shop and give it an oil change. As i lifted the Jeep up on the lift, i saw something no Jeep owner would ever want to see. To my surprise, i found five, thats right FIVE leaks that sprung during the trip, my luck !!!.

As i inspected the drivetrain, i found the following leaking:
1) Oil pan gasket
2) Oil filter housing
3) Seal bet. the trans. and transfer case.
4) Front diff. seal
5) Rear diff. seal
... and on top of all that, i found a trans. mount loose!! Its ironic that i've been bragging to everyone that my Jeep has 100,000 miles and it runs like new, with NO problems but found all this at once!!

Well, would anyone know how much i'm lookin' at here
Any ideas would be great, in order to restore my bragging rights!!!!

Unread 03-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJGuido
Well my family took a trip down to florida during this winter break and decided to take my Jeep, which i hesitated to give to them, considering that it already had 100,000 miles on it, but i had to.

My father told me that the Jeep performed well throughout the whole trip and had no complaints, but he recommended that i change the oil. So i took my Jeep to the shop and give it an oil change. As i lifted the Jeep up on the lift, i saw something no Jeep owner would ever want to see. To my surprise, i found five, thats right FIVE leaks that sprung during the trip, my luck !!!.

As i inspected the drivetrain, i found the following leaking:
1) Oil pan gasket
2) Oil filter housing
3) Seal bet. the trans. and transfer case.
4) Front diff. seal
5) Rear diff. seal
... and on top of all that, i found a trans. mount loose!! Its ironic that i've been bragging to everyone that my Jeep has 100,000 miles and it runs like new, with NO problems but found all this at once!!

Well, would anyone know how much i'm lookin' at here
Any ideas would be great, in order to restore my bragging rights!!!!

The seals themselves don't cost a heck of a lot. I imagine you can buy all the seals you need for between $30.00 and $50.00. If you do the work yourself, you're not out much money. But if you are talking about paying somebody else to do it, then the price is going to skyrocket. I would expect a shop to charge around $585.00 in labor for all those jobs. That is just my own off-the-cuff estimate. Somebody with a flat rate book will be able to be much more exact.
Unread 03-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Thanxs for your reply. I figured that the labor was gonna get me.

As for the parts, since their cheap, I'm gonna go to the jeep dealer and buy them all at once.

As for the labor, i'm gonna replace the oil pan gasket and oil filter housing seals. I took a look at it and it wont be hard to change them, but the other stuff i'll have to pay someone . I never did jobs like that and i'm not gonna start experimenting on my car......... so i'm kinda stuck

Thanx again, at least now i have an idea on how much it's gonna be.
Unread 03-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #4
willsellout

Quote:

As for the parts, since their cheap, I'm gonna go to the jeep dealer and buy them all at once.

As for the labor, i'm gonna replace the oil pan gasket and oil filter housing seals. I took a look at it and it wont be hard to change them, but the other stuff i'll have to pay someone . I never did jobs like that and i'm not gonna start experimenting on my car......... so i'm kinda stuck

The front and rear diff seals you should be able to do yourself as well as the housing seal. I have to do my housing seal this next oil change. The oil housing adapter seals are like 5 bucks..not to expensive and it should take about an hour to replace.. the other seals I have no idea about. Good luck though..the seals seem to be the main maintenence on jeeps.

Dan
willsellout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 03:47 AM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

I imagine you are intending to have the shop do the oil seal between the transmission and TC. While the seal itself is one of the easiest to replace (just drive it in with a big socket and hammer), getting to it is a real chore. That TC is heavy when you are laying on your back underneath the vehicle! The gaskets on the differentials come in a tube (silicone), I read the labels on all of the ones at Autozone, and ended up going with the blue stuff. Willsellout nailed it on the oil housing adapter. So really, the toughest one of the lot is going to be that oil pan gasket. It looks easy, but they usually don't let go very easily. Then you have to be sure your mating surfaces are immaculately clean with no gouges. It would definately be worth your while to find a known flat surface and make sure the lip on the oil pan is straight.
Good luck!
Unread 03-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Well here's the deal. I had a friend of mine look at the Jeep and he said to replace the seal bet. the trans and the TC you have to remove the TC. Is this how it's really done, cause it looks to me that if you loosen up the trans. and TC, you can slide a new one in?

Also, are the seals that are used here like solid gaskets or liquid that needs to be applied?

As for the front and rear diff. seals, i'm talking about the ones that are located where the driveshaft goes into the differential. My friend told me that, in order to replace those, you have to take both axles out, the diff. assembly out and the driveshaft. That seems like it takes some skill to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.