replacing window sill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > replacing window sill

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
2khb

replacing window sill

I know this is a common problem but I want to replace the window sills on my 04 GC. Is the dealership the only place I can get these?

2khb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Junk yard?
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

What's wrong with the window sill? I've got an '04 and don't know of any "common problem" with the window sills.
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

They only cost $30 at my local dealer, of course this price is each.

I believe the problem he is referring to is the water buildup and subsequent rusting of the metal reinforcement bar under the rubber. Leaves nasty rust stains on the paint and large deformations of the window sill where rust accumulates.

I plan on replacing the ones on the girls WJ sometime this summer.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

oh man, i'm not the only one??? I've got a tiny bit of rust stain peeking out from my rear passenger sill. Fill me in on this- what's the fix? just get new sills from the dealer and that's it? how do I remove the sill? is it possible to clean off the rust stain, or is it truly stained?

sorry if i'm hijacking this thread, i just didn't know this was a common problem.
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

The problem is pretty chronic. Espically up here where they use so much salt in the winter. My GC originally came from Seattle, so there was very rust on mine, but after this last winter I've noticed a big deterioration. Vehicles native to this area are substantially worse than mine.

I'm pretty sure you can just lower the window, pop them off and replace them. I would hope the new ones don't suffer the same design flaw. You should be able to buff the rust stains off of the paint.

I'm haven't looked much, but I'm guessing these are dealer only parts...
JG_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
2khb

Thanks, guys off to the dealer then for new ones. I too hope the new don't have the same problem, I live in Cleveland so salt is something I know very well!
2khb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2khb View Post
Thanks, guys off to the dealer then for new ones. I too hope the new don't have the same problem, I live in Cleveland so salt is something I know very well!
On that note, it seems to me that water gets in and is trapped by the little plastic end cap on each one of the sills. The metal reinforcement bar is completely surrounded by rubber, of course the easiest fix would be a solid window sill, without the removable end caps.

If Chrysler has not released an updated version of this part, and the new ones have the removable cap, I plan on using some silicone and sealing the caps to the sill, hopefully this will prevent the same thing from happening again.

As far as stain removal goes, a good rubbing compound and some elbow grease should remove 99% percent of it. Of course a coat of wax over the area would be recommended as well after removing the rust stain.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.