Replacing stock stereo..suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing stock stereo..suggestions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-24-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
jpkomm

Replacing stock stereo..suggestions?

Hello all!

Well, the time has come in my 97 GC Limited's life that it has need of a new kickarse stereo. LOL I'd like to replace the stock Infinity Gold system first. Any suggestions for door speakers? I was thinking along the line of Cerwin Vega mids w/ tweeters, but not really sure what sounds "good" in Jeeps. I'd also like to replace the amp underneath the rear seat. If possible, I'd like to put the new 4 channel amp (between 30 and 50w RMS per channel) in the same location with minimal amount of cutting in order to get it to fit correctly. Any suggestions here? I'll probably replace the head unit with a Pioneer, but not sure about whether I should go with something XM ready or not; however, I am mainly concerned about the speakers and amp. Has anyone had issues with corroded speaker wires in this year? Also, I would like to have atleast 1 sub woofer (10 inch) in the rear. Probably in it's own box with an amp bolted to the box itself for quick removal of the whole unit. I'm not up to date anymore about what subs are out there and which companies are the best and which have fallen from grace. All suggestions are appreciated. I know there has to be some audiophiles out there!

--John

jpkomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
Joseph Humphrey

i have a pioneer head unit and 4 sony 3way 6.5" speekers in the doors. that alone sounds really good. if you are thinking about getting xm, definately do it. (no i do not own any of their stocks nor do i work for them). i absolutely love the service. especially when i get stuck in places like i am now where there are a bunch of radio stations to listen to, as long as you can listen inbetween all the static. god i just love ft leonard wood! stuck in the middle of absolutely nowhere for the next 4 months. god i love it. at least i have access to 100 channels of digital sound, but in reality i only listen to about 20-25 of them. still makes it worth it.

with the poineer units, you really do not need to amplify your door speakers, so you can still use the amp under your rear seat (?) to run a subwoofer. just bridge two of the channels into the sub. you can then mount the xm unit under the driver's seat. or vise versa.
The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #34 (no more BB)
----------------
[B]Silver 98 ZJ 4.0 I-6[/B]
K&N FIPK Gen II
JKS Adjustable Track Bars F and R
JKS Adjustable Control Arms
JKS Quicker Disco's
Kevins 3.5" Lift Kit w/ MX-6 Shocks
US Wheel 15x8 10 spoke black Steelies, 31" BFG AT KO rubber
Joseph Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.