Replacing Steering Stiffener - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing Steering Stiffener

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
ScottyGunn
1996 ZJ 

Replacing Steering Stiffener

I need to replace my steering stiffener, but I can't get the bolt out of the track bar. I got the end near the right tire off and the front castle nut off the bolt in the middle of the track bar. But, I can't seem to get the bolt out of the track bar.

Is that bolt threaded into the track bar? I put all I could into loosening the nut on the other side of the track bar, but it wouldn't budge.

I tried pounding out the bolt and nothing moved.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Unread 08-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Try jacking the car by the frame and let the axle droop a bit. Trackbar could be under compression/tension and that will seize the bolt.
Play around with the axle/body position, you may be able to find a spot where it's not binding.

Trackbar bolt is not welded to anything, by the way.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
KJK
1998 ZJ 

That "bolt" is a tapered pin that has a nut on the end like a tie rod end. In fact, a tie rod end puller is the easiest way to get it out.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Try using a torch to heat it up a little...or use a pickle fork to encourage it out...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That is not the track bar. I used PB blaster on it and put a tie rod puller on there super tight over night. The next day I took a mini sledge to it and on the third hit the bolt came flying out.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That is not the track bar. I used PB blaster on it and put a tie rod puller on there super tight over night. The next day I took a mini sledge to it and on the third hit the bolt came flying out.
Or..a BFH!
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

Try hitting it on the sides while backing up the other side with another hammer.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

When you say "steering stiffener", I guess you mean the steering stabiliser - the thing that looks like a shock absorber oriented horizontally? If so, then it's not connected to the track bar, it's connected to the drag link.

Anyway, getting the threaded end out of the drag link is a common problem. You could use a tie rod puller like PolkaPower, or you could try a Pitman arm puller like this guy:

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

For future reference

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I use the pitman arm puller too . Cheap handy too . Also available is the tie rod puller , it's slightly smaller brother .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.