Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Replacing Steering Stiffener

817 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  newfieZJ 
#1 ·
I need to replace my steering stiffener, but I can't get the bolt out of the track bar. I got the end near the right tire off and the front castle nut off the bolt in the middle of the track bar. But, I can't seem to get the bolt out of the track bar.

Is that bolt threaded into the track bar? I put all I could into loosening the nut on the other side of the track bar, but it wouldn't budge.

I tried pounding out the bolt and nothing moved.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 ·
Try jacking the car by the frame and let the axle droop a bit. Trackbar could be under compression/tension and that will seize the bolt.
Play around with the axle/body position, you may be able to find a spot where it's not binding.

Trackbar bolt is not welded to anything, by the way.

#3 ·
That "bolt" is a tapered pin that has a nut on the end like a tie rod end. In fact, a tie rod end puller is the easiest way to get it out.

#8 ·
When you say "steering stiffener", I guess you mean the steering stabiliser - the thing that looks like a shock absorber oriented horizontally? If so, then it's not connected to the track bar, it's connected to the drag link.

Anyway, getting the threaded end out of the drag link is a common problem. You could use a tie rod puller like PolkaPower, or you could try a Pitman arm puller like this guy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.