Replacing Shaft on Power Antenna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing Shaft on Power Antenna

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 06-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
dpierson

Replacing Shaft on Power Antenna

I am about to order a new shaft for my power antenna on my 94 GC after it suffered the wrath of the car wash (it was stuck in the up position anyway). Since the motor seems to be good still I am hoping to replace just the shaft and the nylon cord. Anyone have any tips or tricks? I know how to get the antenna out from the fender but I am trying to avoid getting halfway into it and finding that I don't know how to change the shaft itself.

dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
jrcaz7

I have a similar thing. I hear the motor turn but the antenna doesnt go anywhere

2'' BDS, 1.25'' Shackle, 31x10.5'' BFG Mud Terrain's mounted on black 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's.

1995 ZJ begging to be lifted.
jrcaz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
dpierson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcaz7
I have a similar thing. I hear the motor turn but the antenna doesnt go anywhere

I know that these tend to go bad, either corossion on the shaft itself or the nylon cord goes bad. When the shaft broke on mine I examined the nylon cord and found many of the teeth broken and worn, not too surprising for something ten years old. Since the motor seems to work everytime I power it on and off I figure that it is worth a shot at replacing just the shaft with a new cord. I'm just wondering if getting the new shaft to interface with the motor will be an issue.
Unread 06-01-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
TheOle34

saw them on ebay for 25$..
how much at the jeep stealership??

mine goes down all excwpt for the bottom shaft... so i have a stubby antenna when it is in down position.

if the teeth are not jammed inside it is an easy replace. otherwise you have to open it up.

robbie
[b]N[/b]40° 45.232 [b]W[/b]73° 01.394
TheOle34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
dpierson

Quote:
Originally Posted by theole34
saw them on ebay for 25$..
how much at the jeep stealership??

mine goes down all excwpt for the bottom shaft... so i have a stubby antenna when it is in down position.

if the teeth are not jammed inside it is an easy replace. otherwise you have to open it up.

robbie
Robbie,

I just ordered a new shaft with the nylon cord and new gear for $22 with shipping. Check here: http://www.lafayetteradio.com

I'm going to try and work on this this weekend if it arrives here on time and I'll post some pictures and instructions based on what I was able to do.
Unread 06-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
TheOle34

nice
i'll check back. we did a replace on a buddys and it was simple. he paid 30$ thru a speed shop. turned radio on undid nut and slid right out. threaded and turned radio off. replaced nut and done!!! 10 minutes. 1 on scale of 1-10 difficulty.

robbie
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
dpierson

Antenna Cap Nut

I was looking at this last night, any suggestions on how to get the cap nut off without scratching the hell out of it? If I understand correctly this is threaded on to the motor. It has those three slots, any kind of wrench that fits this?
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:55 AM   #8
TheOle34

we used (i believe) a black n decker locking wrench. it is rubber coated and funky looking. my buddy does car finishing on show rides. he always has the "right" tools. i'll post a pic if possible.
Unread 06-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #9
Rocks

If there's enough of the nylon toothed strap to grap hold of, it's very easy. Chances are that there's a 3-4 inch piece stuck in the gearbox of the antenna motor. In that case you're going to need to remove the rear right wheel well cover and access the antenna motor. Finding the connector under the dash was impossible, so I wound up cutting the wires then using 3M connectors to spice them back together. However, by just loosening the antenna motor and turning it, you can remove the plastic gearbox cover and extract the broken piece of nylon, then insert the new nylon gear cord per the package instructions.
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.