Replacing Rotors & Gaskets - What other maintenance should I do while I'm "in there"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing Rotors & Gaskets - What other maintenance should I do while I'm "in there"?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Electroman1
1997 ZJ 

Replacing Rotors & Gaskets - What other maintenance should I do while I'm "in there"?

Hello. I'm a noob here. I hope I am posting in the correct section and manner. I am replacing All Rotors, Pads, Valve Cover Gasket, Transmission Pan Gasket...and wonder what other maintenance I should do while I'm in to it. I have a 1997 ZJ with about 175k miles. The only significant major maintenance has been a tranny rebuild. I am considering a front hub & rear bearing/seal replacement as well, (possibly U-joints, etc.) but wanted to get some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance?

Electroman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Speedymcracer01

If you have front and rear disc brakes dont forget the emergency brake kit. I usually replace e-brake hardware when i install new shoes,i would check ball-joints ,u-joints,tie rod ends,sway bar ends and bushings,i would also hit the grease points with a grease gun on all the TRE's ball joints and anything else that has a grease fitting. If the TRE's don't hold grease i would replace them if i had the money,might as well check your plugs wires and other ignition component's along with vacuum lines while you have the front end off the ground i would test the power steering gear box for unusual play along with the steering shaft,thats about it besides checking differentials fluids
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroman1 View Post
Hello. I'm a noob here. I hope I am posting in the correct section and manner. I am replacing All Rotors, Pads, Valve Cover Gasket, Transmission Pan Gasket...and wonder what other maintenance I should do while I'm in to it. I have a 1997 ZJ with about 175k miles. The only significant major maintenance has been a tranny rebuild. I am considering a front hub & rear bearing/seal replacement as well, (possibly U-joints, etc.) but wanted to get some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance?
So you do plan on changing the transmission filter when you change the gasket"i know dumb question but i didn't see anything about the filters being changed"
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Your fine in the way you posted and welcome to the forum! What size engine in your 97 and please enter this info in your profile? Sounds like kind of a shot-gun approach in replacing all those parts when some may be still good. But there's nothing wrong with preventative maintenance and do you have any history on what's been done before besides trans?

Any time you go to the expense of installing new rotors and pads also buy all new rebuilt calipers since they're cheap. And don't buy the very bottom line of rotors and go with middle grade at least. I like the ceramic pads since they wear forever, can take a whole lot of heat, and don't squeak or put any dust out. Also a good time to flush all the old break fluid out and replace with new. But try to keep the master cylinder full of fluid so you don't end up with air locks in it or the ABS system. Sometimes putting a piece of plastic wrap under the cap prevents it from draining dry since it creates a tighter seal.

If making a large order like this I tend to use Advance auto parts online since can use discount codes for huge savings. You'd have to open a free online account, use a credit card, and parts have to be in stock at your local store or have them shipped free to your home if over $75 after discount. Below are the current codes and TRT41 is a real good one for getting $40 off $100+. You may have to break your order(s) up to see how you get the best deals.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=4582125

So where are your major oil leaks? Best to degrease the engine to find out. In addition to the valve cover gasket the oil pan gasket or even rear seal are places you may find leaks. If it's a 4.0 engine the oil filter adapter o-rings tend to leak and the oil blows back making it confusing where the leaks coming from since ends up on the trans bell housing.

It would probably be a good idea to change out the gear oil in your differentials/axles if it hasn't been done before along with the transfer case fluid.

Use the FAQ in the ZJ section for finding out how to do things and you can also do some searches. Plenty of good threads around here and good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Speedymcracer01

I prefer oreilly's they are just a little cheaper they tend to keep most parts for my zj in stock. If oreilly's doesn't carry it i go to auto zone.you can go any where for your parts. Im just picky because i know which store in my town has the parts i need for a good price, and they honor there life time warranties unlike advance auto where i live
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Filter as suggest , band adjustment would be nice . T-case oil change is cheap and easy . Buy two gallons of ATF=4 and you'd have enough for both with probably a spare quart .

Test the bearings , inspect the seals for leaks , replace as needed .

As for the brakes , got access to a welder ? I know , your thinking WTF , lol . Let me clarify . On the spindle is located the sliders for the brake pads , the pads create groves and effect the wear of the pad and braking performance . With a welder , you can fill and carefully grind smooth the sliders . Little touch of grease on the slider , your good to go .

Another thing to inspect would be the rubber brake lines for cracking . Any flaws in these lines can result in swelling , lack of pressure to the caliper , and severe pulling on the wheel . Probably won't happen on your day to day regular run but in an emergency braking situation applying full brake , it could appen . Just look them over good , replace if you see the slightest imperfection .

On all ZJ's I buy , I replace the lower front control arm bushings , sway bar frame bushings . It's a given they are not great if not previously replaced at your k
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check www.rockauto.com for some of your parts.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

I would not fix what is not broke, but I would check all the maintenance points (all fluid levels, including diffs, and transfer case). If any have not been changed in a long time now would be a good time to do that. Pay particular attention to the cooling system, look for leaks at the bottom corners of the rad, under the water pump, etc. Loosen the serp belt and check all the pulleys for play and rough bearings. At that mileage water pumps and power steering pumps can be wearing out. Feel for roughness spinning the pulleys. Also check the idler pulleys, if the bearing on those fails it can cause a lot of expensive damage.
Run the A/C and check for wet carpet in the front pass side. If so then do a search, there are a couple of solutions to the problem with the poorly designed water drain for the AC/heater box. Look at the brake lines, to make sure none are rotting out. Check the battery positive and ground cable clamps at the batt, they crack when they get old.
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Electroman1
1997 ZJ 

Wow...Let me first, sincerely thank each of you for your comments/suggestions. I honestly think each of them are great & am very impressed. LouC, when I began reading your post I thought "I'm not going to like this one" (although I've heard this my entire life), I believe in preventive maintenance-as it can save $$$ in the long run. However, you absolutely nailed two additional issues that I didn't even mention in my post=impressive. I do have wet carpet on passenger side & a cracked battery clamp...lol. Let me also address some of the questions & issues. I don't have a great deal of $$ to invest, thus I have reasons for replacing all of these parts. I have started using ceramic pads on all of my vehicles & buying an extra set of rotors. I live in a rural area, so getting the rotors turned can be over a day hassle. This way I can have the old ones turned later & they will be ready for the next brake job. FYI, my Jeep has the I6. I've had a local transmission guy (actually a excellent transmission guy & good general mechanic) try to fix the leak with my tranny pan twice...to no avail. So, I decided to try some special Transmission RTV, and am just replacing the filter because I'm going to be in there. I also hear that there is a sensor above the pan that leaks sometimes. I have done all of the typical "tune up" stuff (plugs, wires, filters, clean IAC, Check PCM connects & put dielectric grease on them, new hoses, new belt, etc.), and will try to check each suggestion-if I can figure them out. I'm not sure about the oil filter adapter seal though. There is oil everywhere...so I'm going to clean it up, replace the VC gasket, put in UV dye & go from there. Thanks Again Guys!!!
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Electroman1
1997 ZJ 

I forgot to mention...thanks for the purchasing suggestions. I actually have all of the parts & you'll probably laugh at where I purchased them...Amazon. I researched the parts at Advance, Napa, etc...tried to select the best rated part & searched for the part # on Amazon.com. I had some pretty good coupons for Advance, so to compare I added all items to the online cart @ Amazon and @ Advance then applied the Advance coupons. I still saved somewhere around $75 at Amazon. Just wanted to share.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #11
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
I prefer oreilly's they are just a little cheaper they tend to keep most parts for my zj in stock. If oreilly's doesn't carry it i go to auto zone.you can go any where for your parts. Im just picky because i know which store in my town has the parts i need for a good price, and they honor there life time warranties unlike advance auto where i live
If you use an online Advance coupon code, O'Reillys is almost never cheaper. I've never had any problem with Advance honoring warranties.
Sucks that the people who run your local store seem to be jerks.
RockAuto.com is great too, but is a pain for returns.
For your cracked battery terminal, I recommend replacing with a couple military terminals and some wire lugs, worked great for me.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Wow...Let me first, sincerely thank each of you for your comments/suggestions. I honestly think each of them are great & am very impressed. LouC, when I began reading your post I thought "I'm not going to like this one" (although I've heard this my entire life), I believe in preventive maintenance-as it can save $$$ in the long run. However, you absolutely nailed two additional issues that I didn't even mention in my post=impressive. I do have wet carpet on passenger side & a cracked battery clamp...lol. Let me also address some of the questions & issues. I don't have a great deal of $$ to invest, thus I have reasons for replacing all of these parts. I have started using ceramic pads on all of my vehicles & buying an extra set of rotors. I live in a rural area, so getting the rotors turned can be over a day hassle. This way I can have the old ones turned later & they will be ready for the next brake job. FYI, my Jeep has the I6. I've had a local transmission guy (actually a excellent transmission guy & good general mechanic) try to fix the leak with my tranny pan twice...to no avail. So, I decided to try some special Transmission RTV, and am just replacing the filter because I'm going to be in there. I also hear that there is a sensor above the pan that leaks sometimes. I have done all of the typical "tune up" stuff (plugs, wires, filters, clean IAC, Check PCM connects & put dielectric grease on them, new hoses, new belt, etc.), and will try to check each suggestion-if I can figure them out. I'm not sure about the oil filter adapter seal though. There is oil everywhere...so I'm going to clean it up, replace the VC gasket, put in UV dye & go from there. Thanks Again Guys!!!
Nothin' wrong with using Amazon since I use them a lot too since sometimes Advance is higher even with discount codes. And with my prime account I get free 2-day shipping on most all parts. I too run ceramic brakes on all my Jeeps and just bought full sets along with ebrake shoes and 4 Wagner rotors through Amazon. And best to go with Timken bearings, which many auto parts don't sell, and just bought 2 new Timken front hub bearing assemblies through Amazon.

After you clean all the oil off if you find the oil filter adapter o-rings are leaking here's a real good thread on replacing them. You most likely have the T60 bolt since your's is a later model ZJ. I couldn't break the bolt loose even with the correct size and had to use a pipe wrench while being careful not to have it on the adapter itself.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...l#post14333953

I also live in a rural area and live in the woods. Nothin' like all that tree crap eventually ending up in the HVAC box and clogging up the drain tube which empties in the frame. This is what causes the wet area on the front passenger side floor where condensation/water from the AC can't drain.

Here's a video where you should drill a 1/4" hole for cleaning out the drain tube. I use a small wire with hook on the end for pulling the stuff out to the inside. Then carefully run a little larger wire clear though but not with a hook on the end. Since I have to do this a couple times a year I just cover the hole with duct tape which doesn't leak instead of using a rubber plug covered in RTV. If you blow compressed air in the hole don't use high psi since it will blow some of the crud up in the box. Also the AC evaporator sits in a styrofoam cradle and you don't want to blow it apart since it tends to deteriorate over time.

Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
LouC
2007 WK 

My recommendations are based on owning the ZJ 15 years since new and doing all the maintenance myself. If your trans pan leaks, you should try an OE style pan gasket, they seal the best. The wet carpet, either the drain is clogged , or it's not and the water is running back in and getting in thru the foam seal. As a quick fix you can use marine sealer all around that circular black piece in the vid above. The real solution is to cut out a piece of the unibody and put a plastic hose on the end of the plastic tube part of the a/c box that sticks out into the frame (hidden). If you do a search this has been done and posted with photos.

The cracked batt clamp, what I did was cut off the old clamp. Then I got a marine style clamp that allows you to bolt the cable terminal on. I used a marine crimper to crimp on the terminal to the cable and bolted the clamp to the cable terminal. Then I used liquid electrical tape to seal around the terminal where the cable insulation ends.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Electroman1
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the suggestions on the battery terminal and drain tube issues. I haven't had much luck over the years with replacing those terminal ends, as they usually corrode on me. I'll do some research on your suggestions & post back. Thanks Again!
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
LouC
2007 WK 

Marine quality ones like you can get at West Marine will not corrode. I have the same ones on the batt cables on my boat that is moored in salt water 6 months out of the year and the don't corrode. The cheap autoparts store ones do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.