Replacing Rear Lower Control Arm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing Rear Lower Control Arm?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
dgilluly
1995 ZJ 

Replacing Rear Lower Control Arm?

Today I was looking at the rear shocks to see how to replace them, I think I discovered a more serious problem. It appears that the rear lower control arm(passenger side) cracked right through to the rubber bushing. I can stick my pinky right into the crack and feel rubber. Anyone know how to change these? I don't want to drive it very far knowing that it's not safe for the road.

dgilluly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Two 21mm bolts. Should new able to just unbolt or and bolt it right back in. If not using a jack to move the axle up and down should align it.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Might help a little. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...01/index6.html
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriwinkleZJ View Post
Should new able to just unbolt or and bolt it right back in.
Bwahaha, you think that will just unbolt like that?

You must be joking, Mine were that bad and it took a 3 foot cheater bar and I soaked them in penetrating oil for a couple of weeks in advance.

My advice would be look into getting a red wrench, it will speed things up immensely.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWit

Bwahaha, you think that will just unbolt like that?

You must be joking, Mine were that bad and it took a 3 foot cheater bar and I soaked them in penetrating oil for a couple of weeks in advance.

My advice would be look into getting a red wrench, it will speed things up immensely.
Mine were easy to run off with an electric impact wrench.
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Mine come out easy just needed a ratchet and socket.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

My point is that is so rusty that the shell has rusted clean away. That bolt will be seized in there like a son *****, now I can take mine out with a ratchet but the original bolts didn't come out with an impact wrench.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

If he cleans it enough before he can probably get the out. A can of pb blaster and a lot of wire brushing
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I used atf & acetone mix the day before, then an impact wrench, the nuts came right off.
You need to set it on the ground when you tighten them up.
You can replace the bushings or, for a little more money the whole c arm, Rock Auto has the parts.
dsci0281.jpg   dsci0284.jpg   dsci0286.jpg   bushings.jpg  

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
dgilluly
1995 ZJ 

I'll probably use the impact wrench on it. I've always had good luck doing that but sometimes breaks the bolts and then I usually just pounded them out. When I do these kinds of repairs myself, I usually get replacement bolts and nuts. Sometimes I have to use heat to get them out as well. I stopped by advanced auto parts today and they don't even have them in stock, so I'll probably be making a trip to autozone or napa in the next couple of hours.
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
dgilluly
1995 ZJ 

Couldn't find the parts locally, I'll probably end up ordering it from rock auto. But looks like the arm will stay on with a closer inspection, the side parts of the control arm are still in tact, and will still hold it to the bushing though it may result in uneven wear. If need be I'll see if I can get one of my friends to weld it while I wait for an order to come in. I'm still going to change the rear shocks(They needed to be changed anyway.), just bought a pair of guardian pros.

Tags
arm , control , rear , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.