JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   replacing quadra track on jeep with selected track from old jeep (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/replacing-quadra-track-jeep-selected-track-old-jeep-2556346/)

derekroth91 07-09-2014 05:50 PM

replacing quadra track on jeep with selected track from old jeep
 
Hello recently just got a new 98 Jeep grand Cherokee limited. Its an all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive I'm not sure I know the difference. I love the new ride but the tires chirp on pavement due to the drive system so was wondering if there was a way to convert back to two wheel drive for daily driving uses. Old car was 96 Jeep grand Cherokee. Different engine sizes. Would even buy some new part to make it so. Sorry if this is the wrong section

jm8881 07-09-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekroth91 (Post 24144930)
Hello recently just got a new 98 Jeep grand Cherokee limited. Its an all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive I'm not sure I know the difference. I love the new ride but the tires chirp on pavement due to the drive system so was wondering if there was a way to convert back to two wheel drive for daily driving uses. Old car was 96 Jeep grand Cherokee. Different engine sizes. Would even buy some new part to make it so. Sorry if this is the wrong section

You've got some reading to do. Transfer Case Swap How To Thread

:cheers2:

kg6mov 07-09-2014 05:58 PM

Look up the 249 to 242 transfer case swap, it's a sticky at the top of the forum.

I would suggest just replacing the VC which is the part that wears out in the 249 AWD. The 249 is an extremely good case but the VC burns up with age or if there were mismatched tires on it.

derekroth91 07-09-2014 06:38 PM

Is there a way to kind of pybass the transfer case and stop engine sending power to the front drive shaft? Something like that? Or does it just not work like that. I'm not the most mechanically inclined so swapping t cases would probably mean me paying a shop to do it

kg6mov 07-09-2014 07:02 PM

In a 98 you can remove the VC to make it 2wd unless you are in 4lo.

Just replace the VC.

derekroth91 07-09-2014 07:12 PM

Can it be removed easily enough for me to throw it back on there if I go out on the trails or is it some serious work to do that

94cherry 07-09-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekroth91 (Post 24146506)
Can it be removed easily enough for me to throw it back on there if I go out on the trails or is it some serious work to do that

Its really not something that can be taken out and put back in at a whim. The TC must be separated to get to it.

jm8881 07-09-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekroth91 (Post 24146506)
Can it be removed easily enough for me to throw it back on there if I go out on the trails or is it some serious work to do that

Easiest way would be to remove the front driveshaft.

derekroth91 07-09-2014 08:48 PM

If all the donor parts from my old Jeep are stable can I make a full conversion with the old parts? They're very similar models. 98 Jeep grand Cherokee limited 5.2 v8 and 96 Jeep grand Cheroee laredo. How much work is removing the drive shaft? Is there a way to just disengage and not take it all the way out?

derekroth91 07-09-2014 09:24 PM

And a clicking sound just started when I take sharp turns

94cherry 07-09-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekroth91 (Post 24148986)
If all the donor parts from my old Jeep are stable can I make a full conversion with the old parts? They're very similar models. 98 Jeep grand Cherokee limited 5.2 v8 and 96 Jeep grand Cheroee laredo. How much work is removing the drive shaft? Is there a way to just disengage and not take it all the way out?

The front shaft must be removed completely. What engine is in the 96?

derekroth91 07-09-2014 09:39 PM

Is that hard to accomplish? Its got 4 litr inline 6. The clicking sound is persisting after multiple turns. What is it?

derekroth91 07-09-2014 09:41 PM

The old Jeep has an online six cylinder. The clicking sound is still going on sharp turns what is it? How difficult is it to take out the drive shaft. Also how much would a shop cost for labour swapping the TCS

phitmein 07-09-2014 10:02 PM

Wouldn't the clicking be from front CV joints on a 98 ?

kg6mov 07-09-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekroth91 (Post 24146506)
Can it be removed easily enough for me to throw it back on there if I go out on the trails or is it some serious work to do that

4lo would still operate as a locked 4WD for trail use.


The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.