Replacing Pinion bearing.....how hard is it??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing Pinion bearing.....how hard is it???

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Jubei

Replacing Pinion bearing.....how hard is it???

Ok guys, I got a 97 Grand Cherokee 2WD and I noticed a road noise/tire growl coming from the rear and its annoying. I'm thinking its the pinion bearing. How hard is it to change the pinion bearing in the axle? Could this be done in the drive way? Any special tools that I must have? Is there anything else that I could check for that would cause this explained noise? In all honesty as much as I love this JEEP I've owned it for 11 years and but its been the biggest money sponge ever.

Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

definetly not a job for the faint of heart
its very involved
Unread 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Yea. And it does not make sense to replace just the pinion bearings. Sounds like the axle is ready for a complete rebuild.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I've got this too, what are my options for fixing it? Are there any additives for the gear lube to help prolong its life or anything? Am I better off grabbing a rear end out of the junk yard?
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

You are better off having it rebuilt. You don't know what you are getting with a junk yard axle. It too may need to be rebuilt, and if so, you just spent $200 on that JY axle that could have went toward a repair on your current axle.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

I will say from experience that this is doable but with qualification. I have done this on both my axles and on my wife's rear axle (she also has a 2wd GC Ltd.) 1st you should replace pinion and carrier bearings as either could be the culprit and while it's open do both. Also do axle seals while in there as you could damage those during the repair and removal. It is most important to take notes and record things like pinion pre-load. Get a factory service manual. Do not damage or mix up any of the factory shims as you remove the carrier and the pinion. I took the carrier and pinion to a speed shop to have the old bearings removed and the new ones pressed on. I had success with using the factory shims, maybe I was lucky but I haven't had any problems and my repairs are 2 & 3 years old and my wife's repair is 1.5 years old. If this already sounds like too much then take it to a reliable shop. I took my 1st Jeep to a "reliable" shop and that is what made me learn to do this myself.

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.