Replacing Infinity Gold Stereo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing Infinity Gold Stereo

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

Replacing Infinity Gold Stereo

Hello all, I have a 94 ZJ with the stock Infinity Gold stereo with amp and I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket head unit and new speakers, as well as a pair of subwoofers hooked into an amp.

I'm not too familiar with how the stereo is wired in this car, I guess it has a total of 8 infinity speakers, I assume they all line out into the stock amp then out from there to the speakers? I don't necessarily need to keep the old Infinity amp, I think the new head unit should put out enough power for the door speakers (maybe not?)

Does anyone have experience with replacing this stereo setup, or maybe could point me in the right direction? I've replaced stereos before, but nothing with a pre-existing amp or more than 4 stock speakers.

DustinV89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Yea 8 speakers, but 4 channels. The rear door speakers are 2-way and Chrysler counts that as 2 speakers per side. Same in the front, but the tweeters are in the dash.

You can keep the Infinity amp, replace it, or discard it. If you discard it, you'll need to search for the wiring diagrams and do a bit of connecting work. Its easiest to keep the stock amp, but it's not very powerful. If you keep it, you'll need a head unit with subwoofer out.

I did these speakers in the front door:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_091165CA1/Focal-Access-165CA1.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFBrand%7cFocal

these rear:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136C2650X/JL-Audio-C2-650X.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFBrand%7cJL+Audio&nvpair= FFSpeaker_Size%7c6+1%2f2&nvpair=FFSpeaker_Size%7c6 +3%2f4#reviewDynamicContent

Pumps out enough bass for me, but I don't like overdone boomy bass.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

Alright that makes sense I think. How are the tweeters wired? What I am looking to do is replace the 4 door speakers, and have those going straight into the new head unit for power, with the subwoofer out of the head unit going into an amp for my 2 subwoofers.

Or assuming the factory amp is still good, is it possible to replace the factory head unit and still use the factory amp for door speakers? I guess I need to search a little harder for good wiring diagrams. (Been hard this past 2 weeks, internet has been off and on, working on switching isps.)

Thanks a lot for the info
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Yea you can keep the factory amp with a new head unit. You solder or crimp up a new intermediate harness for the new head unit to factory harness connection and you're done. That's what I did. Works decent. When the amp blows, I'm going straight to the head unit. Like this last post
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=393811

To eliminate the factory amp, you'll be cutting and splicing at the factory amp connectors, making connections from the head unit speakers out wiring directly to the speaker door wiring. According to the diagram^

The dash tweeters are wired in parallel with the front door speakers. So you will need to disconnect the dash tweeters to maintain the correct impedance. That's if you get 2 or 3 way door speakers. If you got 4-ohm 1-way door speakers in the front, you could leave the tweeters connected I guess.
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Timbone1343
1997 ZJ 

Some HU's work well with the factory amp.. so do not.. it depends on the voltage output.. it's easier to leave it but if you get a lot of distortion just scrap it.

Also
Just thought you should know..
You do not need to run a remote wire either way you do it.. Keep or trash the factory amp..
You can splice into the factory amp's remote wire and save yourself some time. Its the Dark Green wire with the Red stripe on the smaller connector to the amp.
Just be sure when you wire your head unit you wire up the remote wire there. If you don't you'll know it because you'll have no sound lol...

You'll probably need this..

Timbone1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

holy crap those are some expensive speakers i had to mod my door to fit 6x9
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the help, I think I'm pretty set now, I'm probably going to get some 3 way speakers for the doors and just disconnect the factory tweeters, try to keep the factory amp, and the subs with their amp through the head unit.

As for the size of the door speakers, which is preferable, the original size 6.75" or some 6"x9"s? I believe I had 6"x9"s in my explorer and they sounded pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbone1343 View Post
Some HU's work well with the factory amp.. so do not.. it depends on the voltage output.. it's easier to leave it but if you get a lot of distortion just scrap it.

Also
Just thought you should know..
You do not need to run a remote wire either way you do it.. Keep or trash the factory amp..
You can splice into the factory amp's remote wire and save yourself some time. Its the Dark Green wire with the Red stripe on the smaller connector to the amp.
Just be sure when you wire your head unit you wire up the remote wire there. If you don't you'll know it because you'll have no sound lol...

You'll probably need this..
What is this diagram of? The in/out on the factory amp? Back of factory stereo? Looks helpful.
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Yea 8 speakers, but 4 channels. The rear door speakers are 2-way and Chrysler counts that as 2 speakers per side. Same in the front, but the tweeters are in the dash.

You can keep the Infinity amp, replace it, or discard it. If you discard it, you'll need to search for the wiring diagrams and do a bit of connecting work. Its easiest to keep the stock amp, but it's not very powerful. If you keep it, you'll need a head unit with subwoofer out.

I did these speakers in the front door:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_091165CA1/Focal-Access-165CA1.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFBrand%7cFocal

these rear:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136C2650X/JL-Audio-C2-650X.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFBrand%7cJL+Audio&nvpair= FFSpeaker_Size%7c6+1%2f2&nvpair=FFSpeaker_Size%7c6 +3%2f4#reviewDynamicContent

Pumps out enough bass for me, but I don't like overdone boomy bass.

Oh so thats where the other 2 speakers are on a 5.9 ? It says 10 speakers and i counted 6, ppl said tweeters in the dash.. where in the dash ?? Then i guess the other 2 imaginary speakers would be those 2 way in the rear doors ? Then what are those 2 small looking speakers on the ceiling rack next to the big ones ?

One thing i dont understand in my 5.9 is the PO removed the amp under the rear seat, and all the wire harness's are like electrical taped.. and then there is a newer head unit in the dash.. I dont know if he wired the amp harness's like you mentioned or what... i do know my sound system doesnt sound as good as our 4.0 laredo's.. Altho the laredo has a brand new JVC HU in it, mine looks older and i dont think its quality as good that could be why it sounds worse
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Timbone1343
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV89 View Post
What is this diagram of? The in/out on the factory amp? Back of factory stereo? Looks helpful.
That is the connectors at the amp. In case you want to bypass it or use the remote wire from it for you sub's amp like I did.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreyes0a39oz View Post
holy crap those are some expensive speakers i had to mod my door to fit 6x9
Yea the Focals were $200, but I found the JL Audios for $100.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV89 View Post
As for the size of the door speakers, which is preferable, the original size 6.75" or some 6"x9"s? I believe I had 6"x9"s in my explorer and they sounded pretty good.
6x9" is superior to 6.75"
6x9 = 54 sq in.
6.75 = 46 sq in.

Roughly. It depends on the surrounds and shell. I noticed the Focals are a true 6.75", using most of the area for cone unlike some other speakers I looked at that waste area with ill designed shells and big surrounds.

Generally the more radiating surface, the lower you can go. The 'throw' counts too. Deeper is better.

Be careful in the doors with 6x9". They are usually deeper than 6.75" and could rub your window. In that case, you'd need to make a bezel out of wood or plexiglass or whatever. You will need to do a little extra work with the 6x9, but it would be worth it.

Oh, and 3-way car speakers are a waste of time. Go 2-way.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

A bit off topic...but if you're interested in selling that head unit I would be interested in buying .

i've heard that the jeep amps are total crap with anything other than the infinity gold system

206k: 1/6/14;
205k: 12/21/13; 204k: 11/22/13; 203k: 10/8/13; 202k: 8/29/13; 201k: 7/15/13; 200k: 6/8/13; 199k: 5/10/13; 198k: 3/17/13; 197k: 2/22/13;
196k: 12/20/12; 195k: 10/26/12; 194k: 8/17/12; 193k: 5/29/12; 192k: 3/16/12; 191k: 2/18/12;
190k: 12/31/11

Current mods: 703 injectors(my howto), intake modification, 99+ intake manifold (my howto), Magnaflow hi-flow cat from Kolak & Cherry Bomb glasspack.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Timbone1343
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
A bit off topic...but if you're interested in selling that head unit I would be interested in buying .

i've heard that the jeep amps are total crap with anything other than the infinity gold system

I cant remember the voltage output from the factory HU but I know its very low compared to most aftermarkets. The reason being that the factory HU doesnt have a built in AMP like the aftermarkets. If your HU has a low power mode that's what you want to use. Otherwise it may sound like crap or distort very easily.
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post

I'm still at least a few weeks away from starting on the stereo, I need to find out why this truck runs rough and misses like crazy after it gets hot, maybe the computer on the firewall.

But in general I shouldn't have any problems with distortion or anything if I am essentially scrapping the infinity gold system? Anyone have a guide or anything for modding the doors to fit 6x9 speakers?
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
Adwex
1998 ZJ 

My stock speakers are blown, and I'd love to replace them, but aren't they 2 ohms, and relatively impossible to find?
Adwex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1994 zj , infinity gold , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.