replacing front suspension and steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > replacing front suspension and steering

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

replacing front suspension and steering

Need some help deciding what order to do this. Everything is going to be replaced but I know issues pertainig to the axle shifting ect have to be taken into account. The only thing I'm keeping is the springs, but I'm replacing the jounce bumpers and upper spring cushions. I just need the best order to proceed. Balljoints, hubs, first. Drop swaybar and trackbar to get droop enough to change the bumpers?

Then control arms one side at a time and then tie rods? Does this sound about right?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

You're gonna need a few stands and jacks . You'll want to support the jeep on the frame rail right behind the lower CA mount , also the axle

Pull steering off the jeep , leave it for last to reinstall with new parts .
Starting on one side , remove tire/caliper/rotor/axle lock washer , pin and nut/3 bearing bolts /bearing /axle . Replace ball joints , re-install with new hubs .

Drop the track bar at the axle side , disconnect both end links . Disconnect shock from lower mount . Remove spring retainer . Lower the axle on that side with the jack . You might have to pry down on the axle , but the spring shouldn't take much more that a few prys to get it out from there . I would think now would be the time to replace the CA's . No spring force and you should have decent freedom to reattach things easily .

Pry bars are your friend if you don't have a compressor . With everything dropped as said , the spring will have little pressure on it , it won't fly off anywhere

Soaking the whl bearing bolts with a penetrant is a bonus always .

Some things I'm sure you already have and know . Just thought I'd go into some detail
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the quick reply Newfie. Yeah I have about half the stuff already. I don't feel like shuttling stuff to a welder cause I know the caliper slides are shot so I'm getting new knuckles. Mines a 2wd and I'm kinda slow so I'll ask this again since visualizing it is giving me a problem. On the 2w they use a dummy stub shaft. It just pulls against the hub when drawn in by the hub nut? What does it do in relation to the knuckle? Forgive if this a stupid question but I don't know if I'll have to get the stub shafts as well.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

You probably already know this, but just in case... Borrowing a tierod puller from the auto store will make life a lot easier. Good luck! Please document!
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Got one already. Thanks for the help. Yeah I will probaly post another long a** thread with pics that will bore everyone,lol.

Unread 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

I've always liked your "long AZZ" posts. You make good sense and make it easy to understand.

Looking forward to it, keep up the good work!!

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I'm humbled,thank you. Coming down with the flu I believe, feel like crap all day.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.