Replacing a front driver's side door - 1997 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing a front driver's side door - 1997 ZJ

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
PatZJ
1997 ZJ 

Replacing a front driver's side door - 1997 ZJ

So I figured because no one has made a pictoral write up of replacing a door, I would. You'll need some PB blaster, WD-40, Naptha based lighter fluid, and patience.

It's fairly easy. Before you start, spray PB blast on the 4 bolts holding the door on. As seen in picture one I have removed the door panel, first thing is to take the wiring harnesses off the old door. (Not sure why I removed the switchboard from the door panel, but it was a bad idea, I broke a window switch)

Next is to remove the mirror (at least, my replacement door didn't have one). There are three little nuts, but to get to them you need to remove this foam crap. I used the lighter fluid as an adhesive remover and it came off pretty easy.

Once the mirror is off unhooking the wiring harness from the door to jeep is fun! Carefully take off the plastic stuff covering the inside of the door. Then reach in the door and push the harness out with one hand, then pull it with the other hand through that hole. Now, it is a super pain in the butt to get this unhooked and I ended up breaking some sort of latch. It's red and slides to the side (If you can help it, don't break it) But I did manage to get it unhooked by using vice-grips and a flat head screwdriver as a fulcrum. Ta da!

Lastly, get someone to help you, and the 4 bolts that hold the door on are going to need some elbow grease and love. Unhook the bolts, and then reverse the process to put the door back on.

Please note, I understand that I did not change out the tumbler for the locks...I am no mechanic and I have only learned to fix my jeep through friends, jeepforum, and pv4wd. So doing the locks seemed a bit out of my league. I'm just going to pay someone to do it unless I find an easy way to do it.

I hope this helps!

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

*Looking at a shiny new Jeep at the mall*
Back of the Jeep has a sticker that says, "Don't try to follow me, you can't make it!"

...Challenge Accepted.
PatZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
PatZJ
1997 ZJ 

Finished product!
17.jpg  

Back of the Jeep has a sticker that says, "Don't try to follow me, you can't make it!"

...Challenge Accepted.
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
um7267
1998 ZJ 

i know this is an older thread but is the protocol the same for the passenger side? and my door has some u shaped clips on the hinges are those quick disconnects? is it easier to just remove the 4 bolts from the body or the door?
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
PatZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yup. Idk what the clips are you're talking about but its fairly easy.

...Challenge Accepted.
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

OMG. Why would somebody NOT buy the same color door!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Maybe it was not available? Or they got a super good deal on it.
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

After months of looking,because a driver door hit is apparently one of the most common, I found one to match. But it took awhile.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I keep a supply of same-color doors on hand. . .
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Lol,are they vacumn packed for freshness?
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
PatZJ
1997 ZJ 

I was told id be getting a blue one. When i picked it up it was tan. Maine sucks like that.

...Challenge Accepted.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

You can't blame the state because you got a different color door than you were told, and you can't even blame the yard you got it from you can only blame the salesman or the person who pulled the part for you, there might have even been an inventory issue and it said they had a blue door but when they went to pull it that door was missing, happens all the time I worked at a salvage yard for years when I was younger
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.