Replacing catalytic converter - Magnaflow direct replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing catalytic converter - Magnaflow direct replacement?

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
doomi
2002 WJ 

Replacing catalytic converter - Magnaflow direct replacement?

I need to replace my cat, but I don't want to pay somebody to weld on a universal. Does the Magnaflow direct replacement bolt right up with no issues? Or is there a better option that anybody has used? Thanks!

doomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
MFay52
1997 ZJ 

i bought a walker direct replacement from rockauto.com and it fit perfectly
MFay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Tudds
1998 ZJ 

Mangaflow is direct fit. I changed everything from the cat back at once.
Tudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
doomi
2002 WJ 

Awesome, thanks for the replies!
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudds View Post
Mangaflow is direct fit. I changed everything from the cat back at once.
I did the same, I just used a Gibson Exhaust which makes such a nice rumble around town
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
doomi
2002 WJ 

Just ordered a Walker (model # 15773) direct replacement from Amazon. If anybody else is needing a converter it may be worth checking it out. With free shipping through Amazon plus a $30 Mail in Rebate going on right now, it is $77.02. Not bad at all for a direct fit replacement. They are also doing $30 rebates for their Quiet-Flow SS muffler or welded assemblies.

I'm assuming I'll need a gasket.... do most of you just get them from a local parts store?
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

cat? who needs a cat under there....mines gone! I cut mine off, replaced it with a straight piece of pipe...added in a weld bung for the O2 sensor....bought a part off ebay, which basically pushes the O2 sensor away from the pipe and flow of hot air, no CEL...and no restrictions baby!!! Frees up the motor quite a bit if you ask me....
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
MFay52
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomi View Post
Just ordered a Walker (model # 15773) direct replacement from Amazon. If anybody else is needing a converter it may be worth checking it out. With free shipping through Amazon plus a $30 Mail in Rebate going on right now, it is $77.02. Not bad at all for a direct fit replacement. They are also doing $30 rebates for their Quiet-Flow SS muffler or welded assemblies.

I'm assuming I'll need a gasket.... do most of you just get them from a local parts store?
i got the same one off of rockauto.com over a month ago along with the walker(dynomax) cat-back. There arent any gaskets you will need at all. Your just going to need a 2.5" clamp to connect the cat to the down pipe. And good luck with the rebate, both the cat and cat-back had $30 rebates and i havent seen a thing yet.
MFay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
cat? who needs a cat under there....mines gone! I cut mine off, replaced it with a straight piece of pipe...added in a weld bung for the O2 sensor....bought a part off ebay, which basically pushes the O2 sensor away from the pipe and flow of hot air, no CEL...and no restrictions baby!!! Frees up the motor quite a bit if you ask me....
It's not legal to run without a cat here, so it's really not worth doing that for me. Plus by the time you buy all the parts and pay somebody to weld (I don't know how) it ends up being close in price anyways. Plus the slight loss in gas mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFay52 View Post
i got the same one off of rockauto.com over a month ago along with the walker(dynomax) cat-back. There arent any gaskets you will need at all. Your just going to need a 2.5" clamp to connect the cat to the down pipe. And good luck with the rebate, both the cat and cat-back had $30 rebates and i havent seen a thing yet.
Thanks for letting me know about the gaskets, I just assumed I needed them. I probably should have gone ahead and ordered a catback too. Ill probably do it soon. Hopefully the rebates will come in, it sucks waiting on them forever.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.