Replacing battery cables - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing battery cables

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus
you can just replace the end if you want.
x2...true...very true. My ends looked all of their age and didn't really want to tighten up anymore so I cut them off nad enstalled some new ones....looking at my wires...I always wanted to just go new as well...but after looking at the mess of wires they were witrh in the loom...I wasn't drunk enough to start digging and tracing them down.

If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:48 AM   #17
boilinsrt
1996 ZJ 

They sell battery post shims at advance for dirt cheap. Worked for me also another trick I've used in a pinch is a screw between the clamp and post.
boilinsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
matthewmontes3
1999 WJ 

I think I need to replace my battery cables. I bought my WJ used from some guy, and one of the cable ends is just this steel base with a small plate that screws down and sandwiches the exposed copper wire.

This seems like the simplest place to start with my current electrical problem anyway. (I think it's electrical)

my speakers will pop and the engine will slightly sputter sometimes, only at a low speed (like 15mph and below, and when I'm stopped of course.)
matthewmontes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Or this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-JEEP-G...sories&vxp=mtr

Whatever method you choose you can seal any cracks where insulation meets terminal with liquid electrical tape to stop corrosion creep under the insulation. You could pull one from a jy and seperate the large cables out of the bundles and replace them with new and retape. To me it was just easier to replace the whole shebang and that way I could clean up the ground contact points while I was at it. The harness assy for aZJ cost more than the WJ, go figure.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

To cut the battery cable teminates off the cable.. Just get some metal cutting sheers.. They sell it at Home depot for like $10.. Cuts wires, metal sheets and so forth.. It took like 2 seconds to cut the terminals off on both my Jeeps..

I then just got 4 new color coded terminals from Advance auto and use a knife to scrap some of the paint off where the cables go in (they overpainted it) and then just clamped down the metal plate to hold the cables on the terminal and walla.. No more loose battery terminals.. The stock terminals are lead so they pretty much once tightend never hold a good grip anymore because lead is so easy to bend.. I had electrical issues on my 4.0 with those looser terminals.. since replacing them hasnt had a issue anymore
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
nick1994

i have a 99 jeep gc 4.7. i replace the terminals but still nothing ill be driving down the road and poof jeeps dead. battery and altenator are new. plugs coil packs and everything that has to do with starting has been replaced. i need to find a diagram to show me how to replace the cables. does anyone know of any or have one? also my jeep only dies when it is below operating temp i dont know if that is a coincadence or what . please help
nick1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.