Replacing battery cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing battery cables

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
danielrp

Replacing battery cables

I have a 01 JGCL and my cables are in bad shape and I need to replace them. Does anyone have good instructions to get the job done? I know that cables are cheap and would rather not spend the labor charges. Thanks.

danielrp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

get a set of good ones. The go on just like the came off. Clean your battery terminal and put some protective terminal grease on them.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

can get a more detailed explanation about replacing battery cables? on my 04 the cables go off the terminals and then right into a bundle of wires that are taped together and in a plastic tube thingy. so how do i replace the cables? where do i hook them up or splice them in?

thanks, hope i'm not hijacking the thread.
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

Just curious, what do you guys do to your cables that they're in bad shape? Those vehicles are still new.
Unread 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

i just had some corrosion on the terminals and hook-ups. i cleaned them up fine, but the wires around the hook ups aren't in great shape. i figure if it's not too much hassle, i'd just put new ones in.
Unread 10-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstromberg
i just had some corrosion on the terminals and hook-ups. i cleaned them up fine, but the wires around the hook ups aren't in great shape. i figure if it's not too much hassle, i'd just put new ones in.
well, it depends on how you define hassle. I've changed out battery cables on other vehicles and while it's not the worst job ever I certainly avoid it if possible. Clean them up good and if you aren't having problems, don't fix what isn't broken
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Soft 8
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine were seized on to the post on the battery. I couldn't get them to open up any at all. Now (2 batteries later - don't ask) they don't want to clamp back down on the post. Has anyone replaced them on a WJ? I am planning on doing mine in the spring.
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

" " I also need to replace my positive terminal. It is flubbed to the max. I can barely get it clamped onto the post. I am going to be replacing my battery this weekend and I may do the cables too. Writeup??? Ah WTH I will make my own!

www.mountainvistafabrication.com
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

you can just replace the end if you want.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
georged
2004 WJ 

If the cables are in a bundle like my 04 I would cut off the ends and leave them in the bundle. There are two positive cables coming off the battery terminal. One goes to the under hood fuse/relay box and the other goes to the starter. If you cant find good replacements of the proper length you will have to get them made up. DON'T use the replacement battery ends that they sell in parts stores.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

georged- you're suggesting that the best way to do it is to just cut off the terminal end and replace it, but not with a store bought replacement? where would you recommend someone find quality replacements for the cable ends? And how would you get a clean cut through the cable. that thing's so thick, i don't know what i could use to get through it.
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
d-rap
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus
you can just replace the end if you want.
I've searched and read some of the other threads on this question because the clamps are bad on my '98. Some people say you can just replace the clamps, others say that you'll never be able to re-establish an excellent connection.

If I was just going to replace clamps, what exactly is the procedure? And won't the cables be too short?
d-rap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

For clamps go to best buy or radioshack. You can get gold plated terminals intended for car audio that will suit needs the best. They have multiple holes so if you ever add lights or aftermarket speakers, the wire goes in and its not a problem. Ive installed them in plenty of cars before for car audio and never got a complaint. Should just be a matter of cutting the wire off the old one, stripping it a little more, and attaching it to the new one.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

what do you use to cut the wires? that's a big bundle of wires...I don't think my needle-nose pliers can handle it.
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #15
georged
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstromberg
georged- you're suggesting that the best way to do it is to just cut off the terminal end and replace it, but not with a store bought replacement? where would you recommend someone find quality replacements for the cable ends? And how would you get a clean cut through the cable. that thing's so thick, i don't know what i could use to get through it.
There are good quality store bought cables available, just go shopping. There are on-line stores that will make custom cables. A factory replacement is available, but you will have to pay the price. The replacement cable ends are only as good as the end that connects to the cable.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.