Replacing ac orifice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacing ac orifice

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Replacing ac orifice

How do I change my orifice filter thing? I'm a noob about the ac system, ill be having the freon vacuumed out before I remove any lines but where exactly is the filter? I believe u need to replace a whole line. Does the dash have to be removed..

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Just to be clear, you are not assuming that there is a cabin filter,right? (We don't have cabin filters on our AC system).

I assume, rather, that you are referring to the "accumulator/dryer" that is in-line with your AC system. The dryer part of this functions to remove moisture from the refrigerant, and a dryer is often replaced whenever an overhaul of the AC system is done. But if your AC is working and you are not facing replacement of the compressor, then there's no need to replace part as a regular part of maintenance.

I've not done it on my Jeep, but driers are typically soldered (perhaps welded) in place. If you have any experience with plumbing, it is the same technique as fitting copper tubing, but I use a stronger type of solder and MAPP gas rather than propane.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I am talking about the thin tube filter. My ac wouldn't take it's pressure. It would only take like 5-6kg and it's 8

So it's not that cold.

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Fixed orifice tube is intergrated into the Liquid line (between Condenser and Evaporator). Not serviceable. Replace the line.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Oh ... well, you did also say "orifice" didn't you. It's that gizmo that sits between the high and low pressure points.

I'm guessing that you've diagnosed that you have a plugged/stuck orifice tube, right?

Just looking at my service manual, the orifice is an integral part of the liquid line between the condenser (front of car) to the evaporator (inside car). The orifice is located between your low pressure valve and the firewall. You should see the tube increase in diameter - that's the location of the orifice. After you evacuate your refrigerant, you would use a spring tool (the same type, I believe, that is used to work on fuel lines ... but a larger size) to disconnect the line (a) at the firewall and (b) at the condenser.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
a70eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
I am talking about the thin tube filter. My ac wouldn't take it's pressure. It would only take like 5-6kg and it's 8

So it's not that cold.
Spray your condenser with a garden hose, I nice fine mist over the coils, that will keep the pressure down enough so you can top off the charge, reducing the high side pressure will also reduce the low side pressure lower than the whats in your can of freon alowing it to be drawn into the system.
I see this happen alot when the car sits there idleing and everything gets hot with not much airflow across the condenser.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Jeepmanjoe52
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The metering device and filter are in the upper line close to the radiator. You will see a crimp in the line where the metering device is located. If you have a clogged orfice the upper line will ice up all way back to the firewall. The metering device is not serviceable. Your only option is to replace the hose. If you're just having trouble topping the system off you can soak the can in warm water as you're filling up the system. This will raise the pressure in the can enough to move the refrigerant.
Jeepmanjoe52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmanjoe52 View Post
The metering device and filter are in the upper line close to the radiator. You will see a crimp in the line where the metering device is located. If you have a clogged orfice the upper line will ice up all way back to the firewall. The metering device is not serviceable. Your only option is to replace the hose. If you're just having trouble topping the system off you can soak the can in warm water as you're filling up the system. This will raise the pressure in the can enough to move the refrigerant.
Kind of confusing when you say the filter is in the upper line close to the radiator since the accumulator is the filter/drier/receiver which is a whole separate part (below diagram). Rather than a crimp the actual orifice is in a widened part of the the liquid line/orifice tube right where it connects to the evaporator at the firewall. Interesting about keeping the can of refrigerant in warm water while filling and may need to give that a try sometime if having problems.
ac-accumulator-condensor-lines-zj-4.0-p.24-250.jpg  

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

The orifice tube is in the liquid line, but it is at the end near the condenser.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Ah, so it is and I stand corrected. Sorry Jeepmanjoe52 and now see the crimp you were talking about where the orifice is in the liquid line towards the at the condenser connection. Just assumed it's where the line widens at the evaporator connection end but I'm wrong since can see the line crimp.

BTW, just went through a friggin nightmare the past couple days buying a new liquid line through 3 different Advance stores. Better make sure they check physically it's in stock, not bent up like a pretzel like the 2 ToughOne brands they had/ordered, and finally got a Factory Air/4-seasons one w/the correct bends while straight where it's supposed to be. I should have purchased a good name brand somewhere else but at a much higher price.

Going to install a new Denso AC compressor, Denso Accumulator, and the above liquid line today on my 96 4.0 while evacuating/recharging.

Unread 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

Here's something about that liquid line. The last one I bought had a blue tube (.067) not the purple one (.062) that is recommended. As an experiment, I have cut the liquid line, removed the tube from the liquid line, brazed the line back together and have placed an orange (.057) tube in the evaporator inlet. Also, moved the low side port between the evaporator and accumulator in an effort to get better performance at idle.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Good luck Uni!

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks coralman and will post in the other AC thread I started once the AC work is totally complete.

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I'm not using the can I'm using a machine that evacuates it /sucks it thru with engine running.

Unread 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

A charging station?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.