Replacement Rear Quarter Window Blows Out on Freeway... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacement Rear Quarter Window Blows Out on Freeway...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
ddruker
2000 WJ 

Replacement Rear Quarter Window Blows Out on Freeway...

8 years ago a body shop (recommended by the stealership) repaired my right rear quarter panel, and replaced the right rear quarter window at the same time.

Today I was driving home from work on the freeway doing about 70, I heard louder than usual wind noise in the car for about 10 seconds, and then in my rear view mirror I see my quarter window fly into the air. Luckily it didn't hit any other cars or kill anyone.

I removed the old urethane gasket when I got home and saw something that really bothers me.

The shop didn't bother to completely remove the original factory gasket when they replaced the window the first time. They just painted over it, and then put new urethane on top of the new paint. So what I have on the truck is factory finish --> original gasket --> new primer and paint ---> new urethane.

This isn't where the new urethane failed - it "unstuck" from the window - but it shows me they did a shoddy job. The service manual is very specific about the procedure for replacing the quarter window (remove all old urethane first, use special cleaner on the window, etc) and there is proof on my truck that they didn't follow the procedure.

Would you go back to the body shop and demand they replace the window (8 years later) given there is proof they didn't follow the service manual procedure, or would you just suck it up and try to find a replacement window at the junkyard?

Unread 05-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

There is no way they are going to do anything about it 8 years later.
The factory won't even warranty it for that long.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
salsa
2006 WK 

Any warranty replacement is way out the window. Pun intended. You are just going to have to get a replacement yourself.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If it is a reputable shop with a history in the community, and if you have your original receipt, take it to them and see if they will split the cost with you. Sometimes a long-term business will see this as an opportunity to build word-of-mouth goodwill. Worth a shot.
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

My dad had a radiator rebuilt by a local shop, 10 years ago, that same radiator sprung a leak recently and he had me take the old one in with him, the place had a paper copy of his reciept on file and pulled it out.

You would be surprised at how long most companies hold the service orders.

I would give it a shot, dont DEMAND anything, just show them and perhaps they will understand your situation and either make it right by way of a discount, or maybe even for free. Who knows unless you try.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
madrabbitt

I'm going to agree with the previous answer.

If its a reputable shop, they should stand by their work, regardless of how long its been, because it was their own poor work that caused the failure.

If you have documentation, and are polite about it, then maybe you can get somewhere.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
ddruker
2000 WJ 

Update - well I tried, they said no way, one year warranty on all repairs.

The good news is that I'm getting a replacement from a parted out Jeep for $50 delivered, and the 3M urethane adhesive and primer to install it cost another $25 on-line, so it's not as expensive as I thought it would be and i don't have to make a trip to the junkyard.

Just real glad it didn't kill anyone on the freeway.
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

I knew they wouldn't.
I've been around dealerships and body shops my whole life (41 years), and know of none that would even concider warrantying a repair after 8 years, no matter how reputable they are.
They have no way of knowing what's happened to that vehicle in the last 8 years. For all they know, it was in another accident along the way, and someone else did that repair.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
I knew they wouldn't.
I've been around dealerships and body shops my whole life (41 years), and know of none that would even concider warrantying a repair after 8 years, no matter how reputable they are.
They have no way of knowing what's happened to that vehicle in the last 8 years. For all they know, it was in another accident along the way, and someone else did that repair.
Well, I sure hope you are the caboose of this negativity train.

FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
I knew they wouldn't.
they may not directly warrant it, but many issurance companies will warrant it and require them to fix. You could have checked with your insurance company that covered the original repair.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.