Replacement radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacement radiator

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
eagleknight
1997 ZJ 

Replacement radiator

I clicked over 200,000 a week or so ago, but have been having some transmission fluid leak from a line connection at the transmission cooler in the front. I pulled out the radiator this weekend so I could get to those lines and it has signs of leakage. Also the fluid level slowly goes down in it. I want to put a replacement in while I have everything apart. I did some searching on the forum and people have suggested radiatorbarn.com

My question is what is the difference between the two row and three row? If I buy the three row will have have any minor modifications that need to be made?

Current mods:
K&N Intake, Thorley header, Magna flow cat, Flowmaster muffler.
eagleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Turbonut

I purchased my 3 row from radiators.com, but many have used the site you mentioned. Get the 3 row and no modifications will be needed during the installation. Just remember to move all the air dams over to the new rad, even the one on the bottom so as air is forced through the rad, and not around.

Those little 90 degree hose connections are pretty neat to access as I need to do the wife's when warmer weather arrives in a few weeks. Purchased them from NAPA but sitting in the garage for now. On her's, it was just some seepage at a hose connection, so I moved it down slightly and no more leaks.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
eagleknight
1997 ZJ 

Of course mine was leaking from the bottom hose that is nearly impossible to get to. I ended up drilling two holes through the plastic piece that is behind the grille that the lights attached to access bolts. They get covered up anyway when the grille is put back on. That made it so when I took the radiator out and unbolted the transmission cooler it slipped up far enough to access the bottom line.

Current mods:
K&N Intake, Thorley header, Magna flow cat, Flowmaster muffler.
eagleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I had the transmission fluid leaking from the wrench fitting at one point. I found that it had worked itself loose over time. I just cranked the wrench fitting down, and the leak was gone.

Regarding the radiator, mine died at 198K miles. If you are at 200K already, then a swap is probably in order. I have used radiator barn a couple times, and I was very satisfied. I went with an OEM equivalent. The shipping was crazy fast. I am now 16K miles down the road, and I have no leaks and no problems with cooling.
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Replaced the Radiator and Trans hose on the wife's '96 last July, 160 K miles. The local NAPA store got a radiator from a sorta local re-builders outlet, no shipping charges. I could find out what the company is if interested. Also got the upper trans hose with the slip on fitting that goes to the bottom of the radiator, BK 827-5350. Redesigned fitting. No leaks and no problems.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

If you offroad at all, I would avoid the 3-row. That extra row can make it a bit restrictive when airflow if in question. If it's a street Jeep...towing, lots of highway, no rockcrawling, the 3-row would be good.

Radiator Barn is great - CSF is the brand they carry, and it's all metal instead of the craptastic plastic tanks on the OEM. Very sturdy, and they do ship extremely quick. No leaks whatsoever out of mine.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
ajmorell

I actually just had the dealer do mine (it sucks, but I don't have the tools or time at school to do it), and the radiator itself was only $120 and has a lifetime warranty on it, so I'm fairly satisfied.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.